Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2012 13:00

Computer freezes BEFORE BIOS

I turned on my computer this morning and it freezes before the bios comes up.  It shows the Dell logo in the middle of the screen with the loading bar on the bottom, with the "setup" and "boot options" buttons on the right, but both of those buttons are grayed out and nothing happens when i press F2 or F12 respectively.  The loading bar stops moving about 3/4 of the way to full, and nothing will load.  There were 3 power outages yesterday, and my computer was turned on for one of them.  However, my computer worked fine earlier this morning as my mother used it without any abnormalities.  However, now when i try to start it up, it will not do anything at all, bios will not even load.  Only thing i can think of is the possibility that my USB drive was in the computer or that the power outages did something.  It seems strange though, as my computer is only about three months old and i treat it well, no viruses or anything.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

December 9th, 2012 14:00

Hi blahmaster6000

I suggest that you shut the system down, remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds.  Now connect only the ac adapter and wait for 30 seconds and turn on the system.

I recommend you to run diagnostics to make sure all the hardware components are fine. To run diagnostics restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F12 key every two seconds. This will start the One-time boot menu. Using arrow keys select ‘Diagnostics’ and hit enter. This will run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes. Please reply to this post in case of any error message and the model of the system.

14.4K Posts

December 9th, 2012 15:00

At least try the battery and power clearing as mentioned previously. There is no way you can run the diagnostics in the state your system is in at the moment.

Now if the battery and power don't work, the next thing to try will be to open the case start removing/unplugging components. I would start first with the hard drive. Now the system wont full boot without the harddrive but if it makes i past the post you have a good idea of what the problem is. After the hard drive try the ram one stick at a time.

What is suspect is happening is some component is causing the bios to hang on post as the bios goes out and queries  the system components.

1 Message

April 15th, 2013 14:00

Well this could be a problem with the bios failing to install the bios update cause the system to bios to die.

2 options you have  .

1. get a new PC and swap hard drives into that on. 

2. if you have dual bios then active the second bios ( should be a 2 pins inside the computer just bridge the connection and the PC should work,) 

No Events found!