Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2005 02:00

Computer unable to communicate with USB devices

I have not been able to communicate with devices on my USB ports for the past couple weeks. I have only had my UPS, an HP digital camera and a Logitech dual action gamepad connected to the ports. Everything has been working until recently. I have had a few instances where I believe the gamepad has caused a driver conflict that locked up the PC and sent me to a black screen that referred to a file that caused a problem. Unfortunately, I never wrote any of that info down because a hard reboot always resolved the problem. Now my UPS cannot communicate and the gamepad is not recognized in my Madden NFL game and the HP camera will not initialize. I thought I could try uninstalling the Logitech but when I went to the add/remove programs in the Control Panel I just get a box that gives information about the gaming software but no option to uninstall. The Game Controllers section of the Control Panel does not even show a controller installed. I saw a post on this forum that suggested running an Intel USB system check which came up showing everything working correctly. I have also tried to use the system restore to set the system back to Oct 31 in hopes that would resolve the problem. I am attempting to connect each of these devices alone to all of the USB ports.

I have a Dimension 8300 Windows XP Service Pack 2
Service Tag JXPFQ41

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 24th, 2005 09:00

Disconnect all USB devices, uninstall ALL the USB listed in the Windows Device Manager
then restart Windows and it will detect and reinstall the USB.  Then start connecting one USB device at a time and see if it works.  e.g. connect the UPS and if it works then connect the printer and if that too works then finally connect the game pad and if it all works great, if you have a problem with one device causing the USB to fail you will be able to tell which device it is.

12 Posts

November 24th, 2005 20:00

I tried uninstalling the USB ports; rebooted the PC and the ports were all added back but they still do not recognize any of my USB devices. Is there any way that a problem with the driver for the gameport could block communication with the USB ports? I cannot remove the software so, I may have to go through the registry to remove it.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 25th, 2005 09:00

Did you disconnect all USB devices, restart Windows and then hook just one up and see if that worked? 

The drivers for the game device should not cause a problem unless you are using non Windows XP compatible drivers. 

There could be a file that's corrupted and it may take a Windows XP "Repair" to correct it.  Repair is similar to reinstinstalling Windows XP except you select the Repair option.  It will reinstall any missing or corrupted OS files.  Unfortunately after a Repair you may have to reinstall some programs to get them linked back to the Operating System.  You may also need to reinstall the Dell chipset drivers after the Repair.  And, if you opt for the Repair, disconnect any USB peripherals from the PC first and then you will have reinstall them after the Repair. 

Also, if you do the repair when you reconnect the gamepad, do not install the Logitech drivers, just connect the device.  Windows XP has built in drivers for many devices and the built in drivers may be all that's needed or if not, it should still give you the basic functions of the device.

683 Posts

November 29th, 2005 13:00

Before attempting an XP Repair, it might just be worth trying Start / Run / sfc /scannow (***note space before /). This will replace any damaged or missing Windows protected system files and might resolve your issue. Won't do any harm.

12 Posts

November 30th, 2005 12:00

I have a new twist on my computer problems. I started receiving an nv4_disp error message. I figured out that it was related to my video card so I booted into safe mode and removed the display adapter and rebooted. Display adapter reinstalled but I was still having problems with my screen flashing to a black screen (no text, just blank) every few seconds until it finally stays blank. I decided to run the windows repair and it gets to the point where it starts installing components and when it gets about halfway through that according to the progress bar but still says that it will take another 34 minutes to complete, it errors to a blue screen with a bad_spool_caller message. I have tried this several times and it always errors out at the same point. The memory address it refers to is almost exactly the same each time (only the last set of 8 characters are different). I decided that the video card was probably bad and purchased a new one last night. After reading many posts in this forum on video problems, I'm not so sure. What do you think? I have printed off the page from the User Guide regarding the Diagnostic Lights (which I didn't know about) and will check those tonight.

12 Posts

December 2nd, 2005 20:00

Well I have resolved my video display problems. Turned out that by removing my 56k modem card I was able to finish the Windows repair procedure. However, my USB ports still do not work. Does anyone have any ideas?
No Events found!