Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2015 22:00

Corrupt Q35 express chipset display drivers

Hi all.

I have been struggling to get my Optiplex 755 Win XP system to work with a widescreen monitor (Asus VH242. The display was stretched and I could not set it to the correct resolution; I soon figured out this was because the display drivers were not working properly. There are two display adapters in Device Manager - both listed as Intel Q35 express chipset. Both have an exclamation mark next to them and the troubleshooter says that they are not working properly. I have tried reinstalling the driver through Device Manager, but the installation fails with "Code 39 - the driver may be corrupted or missing".

I have updated the BIOS and am now on rev. A22. According to dxdiag, the system is using the generic video driver because the manufacturer's driver is not installed. There are blank spaces where the driver information is meant to be. I have installed the Intel AMT HECI v.3.2.20 driver based on the suggested downloads on the Dell support page but this has not helped. When I try to use the video issues diagnostic test on the support page, the diagnostic tool fails and says "the device driver for your selected diagnostic is either not installed or installed incorrectly".

So obviously there is an issue with the display driver. However I cannot reinstall the driver and I cannot find another driver to replace it. Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks in advance for any help.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 13th, 2015 11:00

Depends on PEG or Onboard Graphics.

Is there a card installed?

AMT is not the only chipset driver required. There are 3 Chipset Drivers required and 1 Video Driver.

CHIPSET MUST BE DONE BEFORE VIDEO or it wont work at all.

HECI SOL are also required.

The "PCI Serial Port Driver is not actually a Serial Port"

Its the Intel AMT HECI & AMT SOL/LMS Hardware.  

The Current Driver for this works with Windows 7, Vista, XP, 32 and 64 bit.

One Size Fits all.

Operating Systems

Windows 7 32-bit

Windows 7 64-bit

Windows Vista 32-bit

Windows Vista 64-bit

Windows XP

Windows XP x64

Chipset

ftp.us.dell.com/.../R174616.exe

AMT-HECI

ftp.us.dell.com/.../Intel_AMT-HECI_A02_R255437.exe

AMT-SOL

ftp.us.dell.com/.../Intel_AMT-SOL--LMS_A02_R255438.exe

Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) with Setup.exe File for Intel_AMT-HECI_A02_R255437.exe

Download

1.Click Download Now, to download the file.

2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP

users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK.  The Save In:

window appears.

3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to

select Desktop and click Save.  The file will download to your desktop.

4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close.  The file

icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled Intel_AMT-HECI_A02_R255437.exe.

2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or

unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R255437. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.

Setup.exe) file can be found later.

3.The Self-Extractor window appears.

4.Click OK.

5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor

window is still open, close it.

6.Click the Start button and then click Run.

7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R255437 in the Open textbox and then click OK.

8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.          

Description Supported OS Download
Intel G31/G33/Q33/Q35 Graphics Controller, v.6.14.10.4957, A05
This package provides the driver for Intel G31/G33/Q33/Q35 Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 and is supported on Latitude E6400/D630 and OptiPlex 755/330/360 models that are running on following Windows Operating systems: Windows 2000 and XP (32-bit).More details
Windows XP
Windows 2000

2 Posts

July 13th, 2015 17:00

SpeedStep,

Thanks for the very detailed and helpful reply. The problem is now solved. I reinstalled all of the drivers listed and there was no change until I installed the graphics controller. I actually had a newer version installed already - ver. 7.10 I think - which must not have been compatible. Installing the older driver seems to have done the trick and I can now see the display driver in Device Manager and access all resolutions on this monitor.

Thank you!

No Events found!