Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

March 5th, 2002 07:00

Corrupted syste, I need to recover my original fa

I've lost or corrupted system files, drivers, etc, and I want to recover to the original factory config when my PC was shipped. I have managed to reinstall windows 98 from CD-ROM, but it's only a basic system (i.e. VGA display only, nothing much else working). I read about a Recovery CD, but I never had one. Dell doesn't say how or where to get one.

Will my box need to go back to a factory, or can a technical specialiost restore my original system? Any ideas very gratefully received.

134 Posts

March 5th, 2002 13:00

KingMM -

If you can afford it, now is a good time to look at switching to Windows XP.

I made the switch to XP Home Edition when Win98SE started to fail on my system. It was either go back to an OS that I knew would eventually fail with a full re-install or upgrade (clean install) to a more stable OS. It was an easy decision since the Upgrade Advisor compatibilty report showed that I would only need to buy NAV/Norton Systemworks 2002, EZ CD Creator 5 Platinum, and PowerDVD. I also upgraded my hardware....went from PIII 550 to PIII 1GHz processor and increased memory to 512 (using info from Hardware Upgrade conference).

Figured my investment was minimal. I love the difference of having a faster, better system. It's like a new computer, at a fraction of the cost and no hassle of getting rid of the old system!

Just a suggestion.

Happy computing!

RikkiM

Dell Dimension XPS T550r -> T@@ (1 GHz)
512 SDRAM
WinXP Home Edition (clean install!)
Sound Blaster Live!
Matrox Millenium G400 Max

1.3K Posts

March 5th, 2002 13:00

KingMM,
With out knowing exactly what system you have it is hard to be very specific.
But in general if you reinstalled Windows 98 you should have everything in the way of an Operating System. Dell ships a full copy of the OS with their computers. They do not use a system restore Disk that included everything, like say Compaq does. You have to install the OS, Chip set drivers, applications ect.

No you do not have to return the Box to Dell, If you call Tech. Support they will walk you through the reinstall of your OS. If you want to try yourself this site will help.

http://windowsreinstall.com/indexwin98.htm

I recommend you do a complete clean install Starting with fdisk . I think you will find you have a whole new system once you are done.

Good Luck,
Marvin p

XPS B800r
512MBz Ram
Windows XP (2/1/02)
&
512MBz Ram
XP
Truck Vanity Plate "Dell4Me"

• 

25.1K Posts

June 4th, 2020 12:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

No Events found!