Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2015 12:00

DELL Precision T7500 eSata connector on back of machine - how to I get power for the drive?

Howdy,

I have a DELL Precision T7500 with an eSata connector on back of the  machine - All my existing SAS and SATA ports on the Motherboard are taken and I want to connect an external SATA drive.  How to I get power for the drive?

Is there  a card that I can purchase.  I have PCI, PCI-X, 2 PCI Express slots available on the motherboard.

Should I consider snaking out a 4 wire power cable from inside the machine?

Thanks in advance.  :)

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

February 11th, 2015 16:00

Greetings MakesOwnWeather,

Thank you for your question.

You'd use what we call a 'hard drive enclosure'. What's the physical size of the external hard drive that you want to use? 2.5 inch? 3.5 inch?

The below device draws power from the eSATA or USB ports so no need for an extra power cable. It accommodates 2.5 inch drives only.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

February 12th, 2015 13:00

Yes that is the perfect answer which acknowledges using the eSata connector where most others subbuest just going all USB.

HOWEVER DELL REALLY NEEDS TO GET ACT TOGETHER IN THE ORDERING PROCESS.

I place the order last night and got ACK email.  This morning another ACK that order is going through.  Then about an hour ago I got email:  "Order canceled due to non-USA order"  but I am in NY USA as is my phone and credit card and deliver is to NY USA.  I spent an HOUR trying to get through to customer support on the phone.  No one recognized the order ID that I read from my email and no one can help me.  No one!   did I mention that it took over 40 minutes just getting to be able tp speak to anyone at Dell about this?  I had to call tech-support.  

Michael Dell --- you are doing good with most things.  Now, WAKE UP CUSTOMER SUPPORT!  I would fire them all and the phone system if it were my company.

February 16th, 2015 07:00

Yes thanks.  Getting this particular attachment IS the answer.  The one that used only USB to connect is not good.

February 18th, 2015 09:00

I love so much about Dell, but still:

I received the StarTech box but they sent the wrong one --- the one with only a USB connection.

So going through the (nightmare) ordering process again.

Wake up Dell!

Only trying to help with this criticism.  :)

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

February 18th, 2015 15:00

I love so much about Dell, but still:

I received the StarTech box but they sent the wrong one --- the one with only a USB connection.

So going through the (nightmare) ordering process again.

Wake up Dell!

Only trying to help with this criticism.  :)

Thank you for your feedback and your order.

May I assist you with obtaining the correct enclosure? If so, please add me as a friend and provide me with your full name, email and order number through that friend request.

August 28th, 2017 06:00

Thanks Justin for your reply.  I ordered once directly from StarD.  It works fine.  StarD is good.  Dell is great.  So glad to see Dell is doing well.  this T7500 is a GREAT machine --- very powerful and fat, multi-purpose and built to last.  Hooray, Michael Dell!

No Events found!