Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2015 12:00

DELL dimension 8300 wont install windows xp

i have a dell dimension 8300 with a pentium 4 clocked at 2.8 ghz and 1025mb of ram, i am using the same harddrive that it came with and i ended up trying to install windows vista  because xp wasnt supported anymore, now the problem is that i cant get any version of windows xp to boot, as soon as i boot from the flashdrive it will load ffor a few secconds then i get a bsod. dose anyone have an iso of the install disk for the 8300 or one that should work

6.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2015 15:00

Very few Windows XP installation disks have drivers for a SATA controller, and since you are getting a blue screen while attempting to install, I am assuming that your system drive is a SATA drive.  The Dimension 8300 is one of the first Dells to have the capability of using a SATA drive, and it uses a Promise controller rather than Intel.

The usual procedure for installing Windows XP to a SATA system drive is to boot the installation media, use the F6 key to tell the installer to request loading of the 3rd party SATA driver, and continue the installation.  The hassle with doing this is that Windows XP only accepts the third party driver from a standard, internal, floppy disk drive.  I imagine your machine is missing one of these as Dell stopped making them a standard component about 12 years ago.

Other folks may jump in here to give other options, but those I am aware of are as follows:

First, you can install an internal floppy drive and make the third party driver disk using the files found on the Dell support page under SATA in the drivers files.

Second, you can make use of the Dell Resource Disk to boot the computer, and have the driver file placed on a CD where you can execute it manually.  The Dell Resource Disk was one of the disks originally shipped with the computer.  If you no longer have it, you can use a Resource Disk from just about any computer of the same vintage.

Third, you can make use of the procedure to incorporate the driver into a Windows installation disk you make from the files on a valid Windows installation CD and the driver files from the Dell support page

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 2nd, 2015 17:00

You cant make XP install on a flash drive.

F6 drivers are required or you must set the Sata Operation to ATA not AHCI.

You need to start ATA not AHCI.  XP doesnt like AHCI.

The F6 drivers and Chipset Drivers are first.

is broken right now.

The F6 Driver is

Drivers and Downloads

Promise SATA Controller
Release Date: 21/08/2003
Version: A021.00.20.41
Importance: Optional
Download Type: Driver
File Format: Floppy
File Size: 273KB

http://ftp.us.dell.com/SATA/BR60785.exe

8300 uses INTEL 875 chipset

INF Update Utility -​​ Primarily for Intel® 800 Series Chipsets

Did you just install the operating system? If you did not, then you do not need to install the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility.

Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio
Release Date: 29/04/2003
Version: A095.12.01.3555
Importance: Optional
Download Type: Driver
File Format: Hard-Drive
File Size: 3MB

http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R58182.EXE

R58182.EXE

Onboard Nic is 3COM or INTEL Pro 10/100

Then 3COM and INTEL nic drivers.

http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R56237.EXE

http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/R58277.EXE

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 3rd, 2015 00:00

March 4th, 2015 15:00

im not using sata drives im still using ide

March 4th, 2015 15:00

its not sata its ide

6.4K Posts

March 4th, 2015 18:00

My apologies; somehow I thought that the original hard drive for the machine would have been SATA.  You do need a Windows XP installation CD in order to reinstall Windows XP.  As Speedstep pointed out, no version of Windows XP will boot from a USB drive without major tweaking of the configuration files.

Microsoft has never allowed Windows XP to be downloaded from the net.  It will be necessary for you to find a Windows XP installation CD.  Assuming your computer has the Windows XP Certificate of Authenticity glued to the chassis, just about any Dell labeled installation disk should install and automatically activate.  You may still be able to find such CDs on e-Bay, or perhaps you can borrow the disk from a friend who has an older Dell.  You should try to obtain a disk having as late a service pack as possible.  The last service pack for Windows XP was 3.  Disks having service packs 1 or 2 should also work, but you will have to find many more updates for the older service packs.

You can also use a regular commercially sold Windows XP installation disk, but if you decide on that approach, you may need a Windows XP installation CD that has its own certificate of authenticity.  You can try using the COA from the computer chassis with such an installation disk, but you will need to use the phone to call Microsoft and negotiate for a key code to activate the installation.  A COA from an OEM certificate will not activate over the net.

6.4K Posts

March 4th, 2015 20:00

Speedstep:  This is a Dimension 8300.  This particular machine evidently shipped with an IDE system drive, and the computer itself has both primary and secondary IDE ports in addition to SATA.  I'm sure that the optical drive is already equipped with the 80 wire cable, and is most likely the device that was intended to reinstall the OS.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 4th, 2015 20:00

You can't use the optical drive ide to boot from and install from. If you try this you must replace the 40 wire cables with 80 wire cables and set all drives to cable select. The issue with this is that it expects the IDE cables to be secondary not primary boot hence the SATA Connection and drive cables.

What you are trying is not going to work and is not supported.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 5th, 2015 00:00

There were many configurations of this type.  However ALL DRIVES on IDE shipped models are cable select.  Many of these will only boot from the 1st optical drive for install and insist that the 1st IDE hard drive be on the PRIMARY connection.  They are also picky about sata VS IDE and mixing them is not an option.  The default BIOS setting for the 8300 is SATA 0 ON AND IDE 0 OFF. Secondary IDE default is on and auto.

Regulatory Model: D03M
Regulatory Type: D03M004

The F6 driver for XP is not optional as it will "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

No Events found!