Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

September 7th, 2017 17:00

DVD/CD Missing from Win 10 No IDT/ATA Controllers in Device Manager

Hello,
             For some reason my DVD CD internal drive in my Inspiron 3847 With the latest win 10 64 bit is not showing the DVD player in the device manager. I have reinstalled the Serial-ATA_Driver_N7YYC_WN_12.7.3.1001_A00 driver but still nothing. Can anyone offer any suggestions or ideas why iots gone all of a sudden? Thank you

September 7th, 2017 18:00

Hello, I put a CD in the drive and it did spin up. I also rebooted then pressed F2 the SATA drive in hardware was set to AHCI and on the boot up screen the DVD/CD was listed after hard drive for boot up. I also tried to run the diagnosis for the optical drive and the message was that it could not find the optical drive. I did check the cables and they were all tight, and I removed them and plugged them back in without any problems. Any other suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 7th, 2017 18:00

Did the drive fail..?

If you put a disk in the drive does it spin up?

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. See if the SATA port where the optical drive is connected is enabled and if the drive is correctly recognized on that port.

If it's not recognized in BIOS even though the port is enabled, you may want to open the case and check the SATA cable and power connections to the drive.  Always power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec before opening the case.

Then close the case and put a data CD in the drive and reboot. Immediately press F12 and look for options to run the diagnostics and run the optical tests.  Or go here and select the Optical test (with a CD in the drive) and follow the prompts:

www.dell.com/.../diagnose

1 Message

September 7th, 2017 22:00

on the bios system ,  Did you reset all defaut ? why don't try one time ?

removed>

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

September 8th, 2017 09:00

On the diagnostics, did you try the F12 method mentioned by RoHe, or did you run this in Windows? If it was done in Windows, it might be worth trying the F12 method and then choosing diags. If diags works there then it might be something else, but it's worth a shot to try that. The BIOS post is probably worth checking regardless just to see what is shown there. 

Best regards,

Brad 

September 8th, 2017 09:00

The bios has never been changed so I believe they are at the default settings.

September 8th, 2017 13:00

I am sorry I tried the F12 tests and it passed all tests. I thought the bios may have been corrupted, I wanted to try to reinstall the bios file but since it was the same as what was installed already I could not do that. Since no changes have been made to the bios settings I believe they are set to default settings.

September 8th, 2017 16:00

Is anyone aware of possible updated rrivers for the DVD/CD? The ones that are available for my machine are 2 years old. Just a thought it may help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 8th, 2017 17:00

There are no stand-alone drivers for optical drives. They'll built into Windows.

It's still possible BIOS is corrupted so I would pull the motherboard battery, press/hold the power button for ~30 sec and reinstall the battery.

Scanned thoroughly for malware recently?

Is the drive visible in Device Manager?

And read this: Disc/ DVD/ CD Drives Not Showing/ Missing on Windows 10

September 8th, 2017 23:00

Yes the computer has been scanned by three separate programs all with negative results. The device manager does not show the IDE controlers or the optical drives listed. I did look at the web page you suggested and besides trying to sell me a program to update my drivers, I did try them with the following results,

Method 1 Tried and no upper or lower filters to delete, so this step failed, also added the extra registry key with same results

Method 2 Tried to create this key and same thing no results.

Method 3 Cant uninstall if there are no listings for the drivers to uninstall

Method 4 I tried to update drivers with windows update and drive booster Pro which indicated all drivers were up to date so same resukt.

As for pulling the battery I did look around for that but could not see it. Any other suggestions?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 9th, 2017 15:00

First off, if you're not seeing an IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller entry in Device Manager, then you may have a problem with the chipset drivers and those should be reinstalled.  The two Win 10 chipset drivers are listed here: www.dell.com/.../advanced

There should be a separate listing in Device Manager for DVD/CD-ROM drives.

Read page 11 in the manual to see the location of the motherboard battery and read page 48 about removing/installing that battery.

downloads.dell.com/.../inspiron-3847-desktop_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

If that doesn't help and you're convinced the drive hasn't failed, you may have to refresh Win 10 or reinstall it. Either way you should back up all your personal files on an external HDD first, and make sure you have installation media and product keys for any software that will have to be reinstalled, eg Microsoft Office afterwards.

24 Posts

September 9th, 2017 20:00

You can try system restore and set your PC configuration back to before the problem started. This may work if it is a registry or driver error. This has no affect on data, but if you installed any applications from before the time you pick in the system restore menu, you will have to reinstall them. I have fixed a lot of odd OS problems this way, but have your data backed up just in case anyway! If it works, it is also a lot easier and less time consuming than a total reinstall of Windows.

September 9th, 2017 22:00

One thing I did was try to reinstall all the chip set drivers and the serial ata driver. The 2 chipset drivers were installed but when I tried to reinstall the serial ata drivers using Serial-ATA_Driver_MCHV6_WN32_14.5.0.1081_A00 file the install failed with a message saying that there was a pending reboot for this product. I have rebooted the computer and tried to reinstall the drivers again and had the same result. I tried to un installed the program, reboot and tried to install the program again. Same result.

As for a system restore, I thought I would wait till next month when the Fall Update is released. Maybe that would help. Just a thought.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 10th, 2017 18:00

Did you try clearing BIOS yet?

If you wait until the Win 10 Fall Creators Update, you should still back up your files on external media first. If the new update fails because of some pre-existing issue, and you haven't backed up your personal files....

September 11th, 2017 00:00

Hello all, I was thinking could part of the problem be with the Serial-ATA_Driver_MCHV6_WN32_14.5.0.1081_A00 file not being able to install. I keep getting a error message saying that a reboot is pending for this product but when I do reboot I get the same response Any ideas why this will not install? There are no updates from dell for this. Also the Intel RST technology is not working as well, don't know if its related or not. Any ideas if there is a update from dell for this?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 11th, 2017 05:00

INTEL RST DRIVERS START with 9.6 and go up to 15.  HOWEVER not all versions work on all chipsets all inclusive everywhere forever.  As you go up in version chipsets are dropped from support.

You did not say which model and which version of ICH aka ICH 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

ICH7 and lower are dropped with INTEL RST 11.3.

No Events found!