Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2013 21:00

DVD-RW drive will not play any dvd's or cd's

I recently finished getting a Dell XPS 410 Core 2 Duo system back up and running, (so I thought), but when I put any DVD, or CD's into the drive, the green light flashes for a brief moment, and then nothing else.  When I go into My Computer, and click on the DVD drive, it shows nothing there.  I went through Microsoft Fix It, and the verdict was the media in the DVD drive was not readable.  It is, so I have no idea what is going on. 

166 Posts

July 24th, 2013 14:00

I do run Micorsoft Security Essentials, and CCleaner quite a bit.  I do a Full system scan with M.S.E. at least once a week.  Not sure if that is enough though,

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 24th, 2013 18:00

Hi AGP123,

I've got a link below to the upper and lower filter fix.

Strongly urge you to backup (export) the entire registry before making any changes, just to be safe. :emotion-5:

and thanks Osprey!

166 Posts

July 25th, 2013 06:00

By the way, I should have mentioned that this is a machine that I believe the owner tried updating the Bios, and after attempting this thought that the motherboard was bricked because all they could get was the black screen with flashing cursor.  When I hooked up the computer I did get a few msg's, (previous fan failure), for one thing.  I carefully cleaned out the machine, and put new thermal paste, (arctic silver 5).  I did tint both the metal cap of the processor, and heatsink.  Not sure if that is really necessary for what this comp. will be used for, but oh well.

166 Posts

July 25th, 2013 06:00

Thank you both Osprey, and Ron.  I did actually go through Microsoft and run the Fix it program automatically.  It did report at the end that problem was still present though.  I was going to do an SFC, but the person who owns the computer did not supply me with the reinstallation cd's, and also I cannot get the dvd/cd rom drive to operate anyway.  I will try another dvd drive in the machine, but I fear that is not the problem.  Also, when start-up menu goes to my home screen I have some flickering on the screen.  Not sure if something more is going on here or not.

166 Posts

July 25th, 2013 15:00

Thank you Ron, Osprey, and Speedstep!!!  I really appreciate all the help.  I did actually replace the battery on Monday.  Owner had it in upside down.  I will first try clearing the CMOS, and if that does not do it, will have to buy another dvd drive.

166 Posts

July 26th, 2013 12:00

One other thing.  I do have 2 other older computers with dvd drive that I know are good.  Unfortunately they are IDE.  Is there any way to either try the questionable SATA dvd player in the older IDE based comp., or a way to try out one of the good IDE players in the XPS 410?  I imagine that I would need some sort of adapter though.

166 Posts

July 26th, 2013 15:00

Thanks Ron, I was leaning towards that choice myself.  I think that even if I had to keep the drive, and the old one was not bad, it would be more of a waste to buy the adapter which I would more than likely never use again.

166 Posts

July 27th, 2013 20:00

I have not yet tried to clear the Bios, but wanted to report what happened just a bit ago.  I went to support, and went to downloads.  I downloaded the updated driver for my DVD/CD drive.  When I opened the file, and ran the download, the DVD drive light flashed on and off during the entire download, and said it was succesful.  I rebooted, but still same problem as before.  Strange.

166 Posts

July 28th, 2013 19:00

Just tried clearing the Bios.  Still nothing.  Will have to pick up a new drive.  Hopefully that is all that is wrong.  

166 Posts

August 20th, 2013 06:00

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to help me!!!:emotion-2:  Turns out it was the DVD drive, and I got a new one quite reasonable that seems to have fixed the problem.  

No Events found!