Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 18th, 2015 20:00

Dead Screen on Inspiron Win8.1

WIN 8.1 - Machine had been working fine for months, then...

1.)  Display went blank.

2.) Turned computer off then back on and display returned to operation.

3.) Ran for about 30 minutes then went blank again.  Able to access HD from 2nd computer via network

4.) Turned computer off then back on but display still blank.

5.) Attempted to reboot in SAFE MODE but couldn't.  DELL Logo was displayed then blank screen.

6.) Used F12 and decided to try LEGACY BOOT MODE.

7.) Now computer won't do anything!  No DELL logo and cannot access HD via network anymore.

8.) Used RECOVERY USB stick, some HD activity for awhile but otherwise dead screen

9.) Feel like I've dug a hole that I cannot escape from!

9 Posts

December 19th, 2015 13:00

It is an external display, this is NOT a laptop.

Since I can't see the screen, I can't tell if the system is waiting for my input to continue.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Have you tried a different monitor?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

What happens with external monitor?

9 Posts

December 19th, 2015 14:00

No, but I don't suspect the monitor since (until I entered LEGACY BOOT MODE) it properly displayed the DELL Logo and BIOS stuff.  Since I entered LEGACY MODE, I don't see anything.  It would be a major step forward if I could get out of LEGACY mode and have HD access via the network again.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 19th, 2015 17:00

Exactly which PC model is this?

You can try resetting BIOS to the defaults:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall battery (right-side-up)
  6. Close case and see what happens when you boot now

If UEFI is the default setting, clearing BIOS should get you out of Legacy Boot Mode...

9 Posts

December 19th, 2015 19:00

Thanks Ron,

I'll try it in the morning.

It's a Inspiron 660 ala COSTCO.

Should the power cord remain disconnected from step 1 to step 5?

Hopefully the process will return me to UEFI mode and I can have a fighting chance to cure the original problem of 'Blank Screen'.  Wondering if it is a display driver problem.

-Mike-

1 Message

December 19th, 2015 22:00

Mine is doing the exact same thing. First it said not boot device, now it is all light blue screen. I removed hard drive reformatted it and put back in so I could reload win 8 but even the dvd will not work. I am so tired of this Inspiron one 2330 touch screen junk. No one has a solution. I would replace the mother board but I am seeing it happens to hundred of people with this model. Dell has produce this and they know it has bad flaws and should replace them, but no one will admit it or stand up and make it right. Nut for now I just need my very costly all in one to work again< I have checked all cables and even replaced the AV daughter board and that did nothing. I put a 2.5 sata hard drive and it booted to win 7 1 time then went back to black screen. I am totally lost now, so it must be the mother board.I repair laptops as a hobby from ground up and have never seen this , This is my first Inspiron one 2330  and have been told they are a mess with everyone. any help would be a awesome relief

9 Posts

December 20th, 2015 11:00

Yes, unplugged from wall.  Was VERY careful to replace the battery in same polarity I found it in. System beeped battery error when first turned on after procedure but when power is cycled the error code goes away so battery appears OK.

9 Posts

I followed your BIOS RESET procedure twice but it didn't seem to change the situation.  Upon reapplying power, I got the 5 beep 'BIOS BATTERY' error code, turned power off then back on and code vanished but CPU seems to remain in LEGACY BOOT mode.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

I followed your BIOS RESET procedure twice but it didn't seem to change the situation.  Upon reapplying power, I got the 5 beep 'BIOS BATTERY' error code, turned power off then back on and code vanished but CPU seems to remain in LEGACY BOOT mode.

You left it unplugged from the wall while you reset BIOS?

Did you reinstall the battery correctly? Could the battery be dead?

9 Posts

December 20th, 2015 13:00

Some MAJOR progress!!

My display was running via HDMI so decided to try a more primitive (analog) mode. Wow, suddenly I could see the light!  I was able to exit LEGACY MODE and was able to bring WIN8.1 up on the screen.  I'm currently doing a SYSTEM RESTORE to about 3 weeks ago.  When that completes, I'll try the HDMI interface again.

Apparently the original problem was that my system forgot how to talk to HDMI which resulted in the blank screen.  Hopefully the restore procedure will bring it back up to speed with HDMI.  I'll report what happens.

-Mike-

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 20th, 2015 13:00

Color of power button? Is it steady or blinking?

Do you have add-in video card or only on-board video? If you have add-in video card, remove it from the slot and reset BIOS again by the procedure in my earlier post.

Then close up and connect monitor to one of the onboard video ports, assuming monitor supports VGA or HDMI. See what happens with onboard video when you boot normally and in Safe Mode...

9 Posts

December 20th, 2015 16:00

The System Restore is completed but HDMI operation did not restore!  HDMI seems to work during POST/BIOS time but once control goes to Windows the screen goes blank and I have to switch to the analog cables.  I've updated the display driver without any improvement.

-Mike-

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 20th, 2015 17:00

That's encouraging news.

You may need to do a Windows Refresh now...

9 Posts

December 20th, 2015 18:00

I think I'll try to find another monitor and see if the computer will talk to it in HDMI, then find another computer and see if it will talk to my display.  I think I've used up most of the software remedies short of REFRESH. 

-Mike-

No Events found!