Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2011 21:00

Delay in XPS 8300 Shipping

I ordered an XPS 8300 on March 30th.  Since I included USB 3.0 ports the ship date was as far out as first week of May, and I accepted that.  Just checked the order status page and the estimated delivery date has been pushed back to June 15th!  Can anyone explain the additional 5 week delay?

-Krip

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 29th, 2011 04:00

This forum section is a users helping users with desktop hardware problems, we are not Dell employees.  We can't answer your question.

9 Posts

April 29th, 2011 08:00

That's fine.  I wasn't really expecting an answer from Dell here.  I know there are other channels for that.

Has anyone else experienced similar delays?  Has the updated XPS 8300 been shipping?

1 Message

May 3rd, 2011 08:00

I have also-ordered May 6th (after halting my order in January due to the SandyBridge flaw), and this morning I read 6/20 as the update with NO explanation.  I don't mind a few days, but would like an explanation for such a huge delay, especially since the new delivery date is right before we go on vacation for a week.  What makes you think it is due to the USB 3.0?

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2011 15:00

I placed an order on Apr 8 for an 8300 with USB 3.0. It had a delivery date of May 26. At the time I thought it was Apr 26 and didn't think anything of it. My old Dell had crashed and I decided to just replace it. Fortunately I was able to get it working again. I just checked my order status and it still lists May 26. Funny thing is that it has been "in production" since the day after I ordered it. Also, USB 3.0 had later been removed as an option.

Aside from the potential USB 3.0 delay I noticed others in the forum using the i7-2600 processor are having lockup problems. Some of these are on recently manufactured systems so there may be something else going on. If Dell decides to extend the delivery date I may try to cancel. I've been investigating the idea of just building my own and getting the features I want. Since my old system is getting by I will have the time to do it..

97 Posts

May 14th, 2011 11:00

Well this is interesting...

I have been having issues with my new (since beginning of May) XPS 8300 locking up and freezing randomly since day one out of the shipping box. I tried many solutions suggested by the kind folks on these community forum boards but nothing has worked. I sat on the phone with Dell Support as they tried to remotely fix my system but the random screen freezes (not BSOD) and spontaneous reboots continued. So last week I called just before the 21 day limit had expired and requested to return my system for a new one. The Dell techs on the phone I must say were most polite and tried their best to help me.

Now I am waiting for my replacement to be shipped. I thought it would be shipped immediately, but when I check its status online it states that it has not yet been shipped (almost a week now since my request). As you can see in my signature line below there is nothing fancy about my system (no USB 3 ports). So I wonder if the delay is because they are first trying to sort out this random freezing issue.

I wonder if it has to do with the earlier recall due to problems with the chipset of the new Sandy Bridge processors? Maybe there are still issues that need to be worked out between these new processors and the Dell motherboards?

Wish I knew... I would have instead asked for a refund and waited until the issue was resolved.

May 23rd, 2011 14:00

I also ordered an XPS 8300 with USB 3.0 on April 8th. My original delivery date was May 26th as well. I got an email this morning telling me that the new delivery date is June 6th. I just hope that it's not pushed back any longer and that it works correctly out of the box with no need for replacement.

3 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 17:00

My date just changed from May 26 to June 7. I'll probably cancel. Something is going on and Dell is playing games. Have you noticed that USB 3.0 and the Radeon 5870 are no longer offered for the 8300? That along with the lockup complaints has me concerned.

97 Posts

May 23rd, 2011 21:00

I received my replacement XPS 8300 (because the first was locking up) and am pleased to say that it has been running like a charm since Friday.

3 Posts

June 1st, 2011 17:00

I was later contacted about giving up USB 3.0 and swapping the 5870 for a different card (don't remember which one) but at a higher/lower cost (not specified). Dell said USB 3.0 would be supported in June but I would have to reorder. There are plenty of motherboards that support USB 3.0. I also did some checking and found that the power supply in the 8300 was smaller than recommended for my video card. Those two issues caused me to cancel.

Maybe in a few months I'll see what they have to offer. In the meantime I've found a number of other vendors and am also considering building my own. Dell is missing some potentailly useful features. The 8300 I had configured appeared to be a reasonable machine at a reasonable cost but it wasn't to be.

12 Posts

I encountered similar problems. I ordered the XPS 8300 with USB and at the time of ordering it added 2-3 weeks to the shipment date. When my shipment date was reached, I checked the web site and the ordered had been pushed back again by another 3 weeks. I called customer service. After much complaining, I finally was able to talk to a rep who was able to confirm that USB 3.0 was responsible for the delay. I removed USB 3.0 from my order and received my shipment in about a week. Subsequently I tried ordering a USB 3.0 card (Buffalo) and immediately had stability problems with it. I am stll trying to figure out what USB 3.0 card to order. There are references to a Dell USB 3.0 card on other threads. I will probably try ordering one of those. I wish Dell would just explain what the issue is. Otherwise I am happy with the machine.

Dell contacted me on Friday saying that the issue was with USB 3.0 and the ATI Radeon 5780. I was told that I had 10 days to confirm a change away from those parts or they would consider my order cancelled. I've spoken to them three times by phone, been told I would get $100 rebate for my trouble, but I'm still not sure the people I've spoken to understand what it is I need from them. June 7th is the expected delivery date and it hasn't shipped yet, so I'll probably be calling a fourth time to make sure my order is still coming. I would consider cancelling the XPS 8300 and getting one of the new iMacs but I already spent like $400 on accessories for a Windows PC (eg. keyboard, camera) that would go unused with a Mac.

June 2nd, 2011 09:00

I received another email today saying that the parts would need to be changed again. This time from an Radeon 6870 to 6950 and the new delivery date would be June 23, a full 75 days after I placed my order. I asked them about compensation for the incredible delay, they said that they would call me on June 7th to discuss compensation with a manager or somebody and I told them that I wouldn't wait a week to hear their offer. I ordered a Velocity Micro Z40 (beat out the XPS 8300 for CNET's April Editor's Choice Award) with similar features and for a similar price, but it's shipping June 9th.

9 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 20:00

I'm happy to report that I have no issues with my XPS 8300.  The USB 3.0 port is on a separate card however and not built-in.  But on the plus sign, all indications are that I've been given a Radeon 6700 series instead of a 5770 which I ordered.  One day I'll open 'er up to check!

12 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 06:00

Did you order the USB 3.0 card from Dell or did you purchase your own USB 3.0 card?  If you ordered from Dell, does your order indicate the part number?  If you purchased the card your self, what card did you buy.  Thanks...

9 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 17:00

I did not purchase the USB 3.0 card - it came fitted from Dell.  Device Manager says the driver is from NEC Electronics.

No Events found!