Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 28th, 2012 11:00

Dell 4700C startup beeping sounds

Hi Guys!!

Just recently my Dell Dimension 4700C upon startup, gives a long rapid sequence of beeping sounds from the tower and the Windows XP startup screen is delayed by a black screen with just a cursor there flashing. If I wait about 30 seconds a progress bar in black and white appears at the bottom of the screen and loads then the system boots up fine. This happens now upon every system restart. I just installed factory RAM from Dell. Two one gig sticks.I did this a few weeks ago and the system was running fine. I have since reseated the RAM but my computer still acts up like I have just described. All the lights on the back of the tower are green as well.

Any ideas?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 28th, 2012 19:00

The George

You are right, error code 7 is telling you that the hard drive has failed and should be replaced.

Bev.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 28th, 2012 11:00

Could be the new RAM.

I don't remember if the 4700C has Dell diagnostics installed on the hard drive, but if it does, F12 at power on will access the boot/diagnostic menus.  Run a full hardware diagnostic to see if anything shows up.

If not, reinstall the original RAM and see if it still does it.  

141 Posts

January 28th, 2012 17:00

I have just finished doing a hard drive diagnostic test and miy hard drive seems to have failed the test! All it t ells me is that its "Return Code:7"

No Events found!