Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2009 16:00

Dell 531 - Unable to upgrade memory

I have a Del 531, with the 1.0.13 BIOS on it.

I am trying to upgrade the memory.  I currently have two 1 gig sticks in.  I am looking to add 2 more (sam type/brand)

When I add the 2 additional, for a total of four 1 gig DDR2 667 sticks in there, it won't boot. Just get 2 beeps, over and over.

The box will boot with 2 of the sticks in, I even removed the 2 that were in, and put in the 2nd set of 2 to make sure they were good, and it booted. Won't boot with 4...

What am I overlooking?!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 18:00

Two beeps on Inspiron 531 means: "No memory modules detected".

Are you sure you're putting the matched pairs in the right slots? Remove all modules and install one in slot 1. See if it boots. If it does, power off and unplug. Then put the matching module in slot 2.  See if it boots. Repeat the process by putting one of the other pair in slot 3.  If it fails to boot now, slot 3 may be bad.  If it boots, install the last one in slot 4. If that fails, then the motherboard may be defective. If slot 3 or 4 fail, and if it's still under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support for replacement.

Ron

18 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 20:00

Thanks for your reply.

There are a total of 4 slots.  They are marked on the motherbard  3 - 4 - 1 - 2

Factory installed were in the 1 & 2 position.  I put the additional in the 3 & 4 position. When I do that = i get 2 beeps. 

I will test your process tomorrow...

I believe it is still under warranty.

No Events found!