Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2015 14:00

Dell 780 Mini Tower: Won't Boot to BIOS?

I have a Dell 780 Mini Tower, Q9400 CPU, 6GB Ram, Asus AMD Radeon EAH5450 512mb Video Card

With the video card installed and trying to boot to BIOS with F2 I get this error and it won't boot to BIOS:

Incompatible video controller.poration

Vesa function 0x4f02 returned AX = 34f

When I take out the video card and use the onboard VGA it boots to BIOS fine.

Any ideas? I also updated to the latest BIOS from A03 to A15, still no luck.

November 19th, 2015 06:00

Hi, 

Does the machine boots into windows with the GPU in??

Was there a hardware or software changes made recently??

Regards

35 Posts

November 19th, 2015 07:00

Hi DELL-Hema

Yes, the machine boots into windows fine with the GPU in (just not BIOS as stated). The only recent hardware change is the GPU.

I have a Dell Optiplex 760 that I tested the GPU and it boots to BIOS fine and functions perfectly in windows as well.

November 19th, 2015 20:00

All we could think here is mostly a conflict of the Hardware. The chances are less to do a probability test here, as in to try another monitor. 

reference for the above question ::

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314399-30-enter-bios-graphics-card-installed-gigabyte-ud5h

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 20th, 2015 04:00

You cant use onboard vga video and a video card.  This is not supported.

Newer radeon cards especially from sapphire do not support DOS vesa vga video modes so you cant get into bios as well and diagnostics fail.

System Halted!

Attention: Unsupported Video Configuration Detected.

35 Posts

November 20th, 2015 17:00

Thanks for the reply. I am aware that most computers don't allow for on board graphics and dedicated graphic cards to run at the same time... but good call.

Thanks DELL-Hema for the link. It shows where "some" displays just don't cooperate. I'll try switching displays...

No Events found!