Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 25th, 2012 11:00

Dell Desktop inspiron 530 power supply problems.

Hai.

Please anybody can help me out?

I have dell inspiron 530 desktop.my computer does not start,when i plug in,the power supply in back side is on but,there is no green light on power button on front.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 25th, 2012 12:00

Hi pat59,

Please remove the power cable, press and hold the Power button for 30 seconds. Connect the cable and switch on the computer check if it starts properly. If the computer is plugged into a power strip, ensure the power strip is plugged into an electrical outlet and is turned on. Also, bypass power protection devices, power strips, and power extension cables to verify the computer turns on properly.

Let me know your findings.

1 Message

December 25th, 2012 13:00

I HAVE A DELL INSPIRON and it will not connect to the internet  help

2 Posts

December 25th, 2012 14:00

Hai,Rajath

Thank you for your hint,I did but still computer did not start,once again i will say that when i plug in my computer,power supply light(Green) is on at back side,but power button(front side)is not on. I am waiting for your reply.

Thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 25th, 2012 15:00

I HAVE A DELL INSPIRON and it will not connect to the internet  help

I suggest you start a separate thread detailing your model and the specific symptoms.

5 Posts

December 26th, 2012 15:00

@Pat59, I'm having what sounds like the same issue with the same model. Nothing happens when I press the power button - no sounds or light - although the green light is on at the back. We put it in sleep mode while we went away for a couple of days for the holidays and came back to it like this. We've checked the power supply and that's not the issue. Hopefully Rajath will have an alternative suggestion for us!

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 27th, 2012 10:00

Hi pat59 and elsbells,

Thank you for your reply. I suggest you to remove the memory modules, hard drive and optical drive connections. Press the Power button and check if the system powers on. If the system power on, then connect one component at the time and check if the system powers on. In this way, the faulty components can be determined.

Please let me know about your findings.

1 Message

January 30th, 2013 19:00

I am having same issue, green light on in back however no "blue" light allowing power.  It appears you recommend dismantling back to remove the "memory modules, hard drive and optical drive connections". 

I'm reluctant to "dismantle" without being sure what is what, but in the event all fails...what power supply and from where can I order new?

16 Posts

February 17th, 2013 10:00

I've been following this discussion because I have a Inspiron 530 with the same symptoms.

I got it second hand and attempting to refurbish it for a charity.

I removed the RAM, and disconnected the power to the hard drive and optical drive.  It still does not power on, even thought the green light on the back shines brightly and the orange light on the mother board is lit.

What to try now?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 17th, 2013 11:00

I've been following this discussion because I have a Inspiron 530 with the same symptoms.

I got it second hand and attempting to refurbish it for a charity.

I removed the RAM, and disconnected the power to the hard drive and optical drive.  It still does not power on, even thought the green light on the back shines brightly and the orange light on the mother board is lit.

What to try now?

consultmac

Assuming that you have the Inspiron 530 mini tower version and not the 530 compact slimline model.

Is the power button LED, Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages, if there are, please post the exact text of the message?

Does the power supply fan run?

Is there a discrete graphics card installed, or are you using the integrated graphics?

The Inspiron 530 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Codes are HERE.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Bev.

16 Posts

February 17th, 2013 12:00

The power button LED is not showing any color, and no beeps and no power supply fan running.

Just the green light lit in back and the amber light on the motherboard lit.

BTW, while not today, this computer was working recently AFTER struggling with these symptoms for some time first.   Unplugged it and took it to a friend and it took 20 minutes before it would start up.   Brought it back here and haven't been able to get it going at all today.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 17th, 2013 12:00

consultmac

Have you tried connecting the power supply directly in to a different outlet, without the surge protector and see if this makes a difference?

No difference, then it sounds like a failed power supply.

Try the following, if you are comfortable working around computers:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out, again disconnect the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all PCI cards from the system, take out the video card [if applicable], disconnect all peripherals, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard and disconnect the power & data cables from all drives. 

Reconnect the power cord and power system on, see if you get a different LED indication on the power button, or 'Beeps'.

No difference, remove the memory from the system and try again.

Still shows no signs of life then you are looking at a motherboard replacement & maybe a processor.  Note: the processor rarely fails.

The LED on the motherboard is the 'Stand By Power Light' [aka 'flea power'], indicates the motherboard has +5VFP power is reaching it and not an indication that the power supply has not failed, or has issues.

The Green LED on the power supply, only indicates power is available for the power supply.

Bev.

16 Posts

February 17th, 2013 14:00

I have tried several different outlets without surge protectors etc.  The behavior is no different.

However, as I mentioned earlier, leaving it plugged-in for awhile before trying it seems to make it work.... and it is working again at the moment.  History shows that it'll keep going fine until its been shut down awhile.

1 Message

February 26th, 2013 14:00

I have repaired 2 Dell systems in the past month and both had bad power supplies.

The green light on the power supply only indicates power to the power supply, not sufficient to diagnose good/bad unit.

The orange light on the mother board does indicate the constant power to the board is there, CMOS battery will not be drained when this power is available . This, again, not sufficient to diagnose good/bad unit.

While I have not torn down any of the faulty power supplies, my guess is in the switching portion.

You can check continuity at the power button (on front of unit), but odds are it is fine.

As shesagordie indicated, the easiest is test with new/good known power supply.

You don't need to install, just make connections to MB & HD, leave power supply on desk.

1 Message

March 20th, 2013 18:00

I am having the same problem with the Dell Inspiron 530.  It is not used much because I use my laptop, but I will use it if I need to print since it is connected to the printer.  I have plugged and unplugged from the power strip, wall and back of the computer.  I have a steady green light on the back but nothing on the front.  It sounds like it is a problem with this model as many on here that have had the same problem.  I don't know how to repair or check the inside-is there a simple fix somehow without having to take it in somewhere?

1 Message

April 17th, 2013 05:00

I am having a simiar problem with my 530. I had a problem with my power supply and I replaced it. Everything was working fine for a couple of days. I left the computer on and stepped away for about 30 minutes and when I came back I had a stead amber light. I tried turning it on but it no response. So I unplugged it and then plugged it in. Ipushed the button and it turned on. Then after about 2 minutes it shutdown and the light was a steady amber light. I did the same procedures as before and it turned on then it only stayed on for less than a minute. Now it won't even come on. One thing I noticed with the computer is that the light to the power supply is green but when I try to turn on the light in front goes to steady amber but the green power supply light goes out. I have tried almost everything I know. Does anyone know what could cause that?

No Events found!