Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2011 02:00

Dell Desktop-replacement for Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 graphics card

Good day. I'm hoping an expert can help me.

My computer: Dell Studio XPS 8100 desktop, intel Core i7 870 2.93GHz, 8Mb etc
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 single 1GB memory. From reading, not sold by retail and now no longer available.
Power Unit: 350 watts maximum.

I do not use the computer to play games.

For various reasons, can you please DETAIL for me a replacement graphics card of about the same 'power' +. One that  I can slot in myself, load driver and be up and running. Not into changing other bits and pieces (I hope) and there appear to be soo many graphics cards available.

I would hope to purchase the graphics card over the Internet, UK supplier and thence abroad to me.

In anticipation, thank you for your help.

Leonard

5 Posts

January 6th, 2013 09:00

I got the 2GB version, I think it was 10 bucks more. Seems like an improvent over 240 - looks great.

1 Message

April 6th, 2013 06:00

I have the same machine and the same problem. the fan of the video card is so noisy... looking for a quite replacement...  do you think the 440 will work? quietly

23 Posts

April 6th, 2013 08:00

440?     This thread discusses the GT630 as a good replacement for the GTS240 that came with the Dell XPS Studio 8100 (or 8000 me).   Don't know anything about the 440.

8 Posts

May 7th, 2013 09:00

Is it possible to remove the graphics card without taking the hard drives out, please? One of them is directly above the graphics card, *just* slightly overlapping.

I'm getting this noisy fan problem too, after almost 3 years of completely normal noise-free use. Well, I had a slight amount of noise two weeks ago, but then I opened it up, gave it a quick blow, and everything was fine.... until now.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 11th, 2013 04:00

Hi DVDfever,

I don't know what model you have. Unfortunately this thread has drifted from one desktop model to another.

8 Posts

May 11th, 2013 17:00

Hi Osprey, it's a Dell XPS 8100.

BTW, this site isn't sending me any email notifications when I get a post, even though I have that setting correctly set. Can you help with that, too, please?

8 Posts

May 22nd, 2013 18:00

Hi Leonard... thanks for all the research and followup.

I've been running my XPS 8000 with GTS 240 for over 4 years, now I "black screen" sporatically while running Second Life.

I'll try your solution if possible.

Kind regards, Wendy

8 Posts

May 23rd, 2013 16:00

Is Osprey still about?

10 Posts

March 11th, 2015 00:00

Nick_Bee, thanks so much.

I have the same setup, Dell Studio XPS 8000 with a GeForce GTS 240. It is now 6 years old and your instructions worked beautifully, WD-40 and all. The only difference is my paint-brush was to soft (got some of the loose dust out, but not enough) so I used Q-Tips with isopropyl alcohol to wipe off the thick dust from the fan blades and assembly. The fan was easy to pry off with two small flat-head screw drivers, one on each side. Once put back together I tested with EVGA Precision graphics tuning to turn up the RMPs of my fan. Quiet as a mouse... ;)

You can download EVGA Precision for free here 

http://www.evga.com/precision/ 

1 Message

September 13th, 2015 07:00

Hi Nick,

Just to let me know - you saved my ***.

I took the fan out and it was choked with fine dust. Probably because of the magnets. Anyway - i sucked and brushed out all the *** with a camera duster and then used a tiny amount of wd40 to clean not just the bearings but also the ring around the housing that was also clogged with dust. Took some time to get as much as i could out.

Be careful when you click the fan back on to the board. It clicks on in two steps. So when you replace the metal cover, make sure that the fan spins clear of the cover. If it doesn't - apply a little more pressure until it click on. Be careful not to bend the board too much - gentle even pressure is the way to go.

Anyway - fired up the computer and it was so quiet that i thought id broken the fan. I used a joss stick to see the smoke (only for a second!!) drawn into the cooling system.

Perfect fix - I can now finish the programming job for my monday deadline and dont have to buy another board. This is the second gforce 240 graphics card I have used in this machine - the first one the fan actually broke. They are good cards - but have a bad cooling design.

Anyway - thanks again!

Big G

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 14th, 2015 07:00

Keep in mind that WD40 is HIGHLY FLAMMABLE and will cause electrical shorting issues if over used.  Any static Spark could make for a huge fire. WD-40 conducts electricity so its not good as a cleaner.

I would recommend QD or other material for this instead.

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id=02130&S=Y

No Events found!