Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

August 7th, 2008 00:00

Dell Dimension 2300 WinXP SP3 USB issues

I have a Dell Dimension 2300 with WindowsXP running on it. I have upgraded the ram and harddrive a few years ago. Recently I had to reformat Windows and restore the computer back to factory settings. I have updated the PC and reinstalled all related drivers and everything is working great.

The only problem is my USB ports are going so much slower than before the reformat. All four ports are standand not 2.0 enhanced, anyway, so they were slow to begin with so you can understand to have them be even slower is frustrating. It will take 15 minutes to load 30MB of files from one USB harddrive to another. I did not have a problem loading my external harddrive, iPods, or other USB devices before the reformat. Is there an update or driver for the USB ports that I have missed somewhere? Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Thank you 

6.4K Posts

August 7th, 2008 01:00

The Resource Disk that shipped with my D2400 had a patch file on it for the USB 2.0 ports.  I have always thought it was needed only for the Win XP with SP-1a installation disk, but when I have reinstalled I have always included it as the last driver loaded anyway.  Figured it was insurance just in case the SP-2 update I installed after the drivers didn't have that particular patch.  The chipset in your D2300 is the same family as the one in the D2400; did yours ship with Win XP with SP-1a?  If so, and you still have it, you might check your resource disk to see if you have that file also.

This probably has nothing to do with your problem, but since you say everything else is working great, I figure you installed the drivers in the correct order already.  The only other thing I can think of is to uninstall your USB controllers using the Device Manager and see if Windows will reinstall them with the correct drivers.

No Events found!