Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2009 18:00

Dell Dimension 2400 sound problems with WMP and XP

Hi,

This is my first post ; I hope someone can help me.

The sound on my PC is awful - even the dreaded Windows start-up sound is badly distorted, although it's not that loud to be the volume causing it.

Soundtracks on video clips are out of sync or patchy and then sometimes if I replay the same clip the sound improves, but is never right.

I've installed a sound card thinking the on-board sound was the problem but with no improvement.

Any suggestions welcome, thank you

:emotion-1:

2.6K Posts

March 27th, 2009 19:00

Based on previous posts, a couple of things I can think of:

1) Your hard drive is running in PIO mode - basically after a certain number of errors the drive reverts to a slower transfer mode.   Basic guide on how to check this here:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/check-your-transfer-mode-to-boost-computer-speed/

EDIT:  If it is a PIO mode problem, and switching it in device manager doesn't fix it, site linked below has both a "quick fix" script option and manual instructions.   The few times it's been used by members here the script has been reported as reliable and safe, but as always proceed with caution.

http://winhlp.com/node/10

2) A conflict with a wireless adapter or video card drivers, or a software conflict - if you recall installing anything new around the time this started happening, it could be the culprit.  Conflicts aren't always logical, so don't assume anything is irrelevant.  if you have an approximate date,  System Restore (Start - Programs - Accessories - System Tools) might undo it and give you a fresh start.

March 30th, 2009 15:00

Success!!

The manual fix described at the first link didn't seem to work but it did point me to some software designed to do the job automatically.

I downloaded and ran the software and now the sound is fine so...

THANK YOU ALEXANDRA_P!!

:emotion-2::emotion-21:

2.6K Posts

March 30th, 2009 18:00

Glad you got it fixed :emotion-1: .

May 5th, 2011 15:00

Not only has the audio been restored, but everything is running back up to speed.

The "winhlp.com/node/10" was the answer for my problem.

Thanks so much! :)

No Events found!