Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2010 08:00

Dell Dimension 2400

My computer quit working. It will now only turn on long enough( maybe 3 seconds) to see the Dell screen and then turn off. After that the green light on the front of the computer is blinking. I can only stop the blinking by holding the on/off buton 5-7 seconds or pull the power cord on the tower until the light goes out. The computer is a Windows XP purchased from Dell in January 2004. I only use it for a word processor (Microsoft Word) purchased from Dell and ocassionally for a CD with back up files. I can not troubleshoot because the computer will not boot passed the Dell Screen. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 13th, 2010 08:00

Likely power supply is bad and must be replaced.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 13th, 2010 09:00

19jhp61

A power light is blinking green, may indicate the computer is in standby mode.

Try pressing a key on the keyboard, move the mouse, or press the power button to resume normal operation.

Also, check the sequence of the four Diagnosic Lights on the back panel of the case.

The Dimension 2400 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide, is HERE

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 13th, 2010 17:00

My diagnostic lights on the back of the Dell computer showes A=yellow, B=yellow, C=green, D= green. Does that have anything to do with my problem? TIA

19jhp61

YYGG Diagnostic lights, indicate a memory issue, open the case, remove and reinstall all the memory modules, restart the 2400 and see if this makes a difference.

Bev.

5 Posts

December 13th, 2010 17:00

My diagnostic lights on the back of the Dell computer showes A=yellow, B=yellow, C=green, D= green. Does that have anything to do with my problem? TIA

2 Posts

September 19th, 2014 09:00

I acquired 3 Dimension 2400 which I have refurbished. One of them I have determined to have a bad motherboard. I pulled the hard drive and installed it on a good machine and got the same error diagnostic lights (Y,Y,G,G).

I reinstalled the original hard drive into the good machine and still had the same codes. I left the machine for a few minutes and tried it again, and it worked fine. Does this mean that the hard drive from the dead machine is shot?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 19th, 2014 10:00

Diagnostic  Yellow Yellow Green Green = Memory Failure aka RAM is BAD.

Has nothing to do with Hard drive.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 19th, 2014 11:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

No Events found!