Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2009 20:00

Dell Dimension 3000

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 and I was wondering if the usb ports on it are usb 2.0? And if only certain ones are usb 2.0, Which ones are they?

6.4K Posts

January 21st, 2009 21:00

The drivers and downloads make small adjustments in the way the operating system talks to the computer hardware.  Some are necessary because the operating system is a bit older than the hardware, others are made available because it is impractical to include a driver for every type of device.

When Windows XP was first released, USB 2.0 was still new and it's possible that there were some patches needed on some computers to make it work properly.  My Dimension 2400 came with Win XP Service Pack 1a, and on the Dell Resource CD is a patch file for USB 2.0.  This patch is unnecessary for Win XP Service Pack 2 or later.  The operating system evolves as does the hardware.  The Dimension 3000 definitely has USB 2.0 hardware, and if you are using Win XP SP-2 with all the drivers properly installed, the OS will service the ports properly.

6.4K Posts

They are all USB 2.0.  If you look in Device Manager, you normally see only one Enhanced USB Controller, but this covers all the hardware.

4 Posts

What is the point of Drivers & Downloads? Someone told me that I need to download some of those to get my usb's to work as if they were usb 2.0's

September 30th, 2011 14:00

That is what I expected, but when I plug in a new USB device, I get the message "There are no HI-SPEED USB host controllers installed on this computer."

What should I do to put this right, please?  - I have XP Home with all SPs and security updates installed.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 30th, 2011 15:00

MikeHimself

Check to see if there's an "Enhanced USB Controller" listed in the Device Manager.

Bev.

October 1st, 2011 04:00

Hi,

I find three Universal USB Host Controllers

and one USB2 Enhanced Host Controller

Mike.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 1st, 2011 09:00

MikeHimself

Mike.

As you have the keyword *Enhanced* listed, all your computer's USB ports are USB 2.0.

See HERE

The best you can do is disable the error message.

Bev.

October 2nd, 2011 01:00

Hi Shesagordie.

With respect (as my old boss used to say as he was about to deliver one of his regular devastating insults) that is a real call center answer!

Would you deal with a warning light on your car by ripping out the wires behind the instrument panel? Thanks for the offer of a ride, but I'd rather walk if you don't mind.......

I have done some further research and found - www.laptop-junction.com/.../usb-20-high-speed-hell-device-can-perform-faster.

In summary, this says that Microsoft got it right in SP2, then messed it up again in SP3. It appears that there is no simple answer and although the warning message can be disabled, that is simply covering up Microsoft's indifference to users' problems - once they have taken the money. So even though the machine has Hi-Speed capability, the operating system may not be allowing me to use it.

I guess it might be possible to uninstall SP3, but I can think of several reasons why that might not be such a good idea. Ubuntu anyone........?

Mike.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 2nd, 2011 08:00

Mike.

You are right, it's a bummer, especially as it was Microsoft, that published the hack for disabling the error message.

Bev.

No Events found!