Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2004 22:00

Dell Dimension 4100 Initial Boot Problem

I purchased a used Dell Dimension 4100 from a friend of mine.  It has performed perfectly for the past several months.  About a week or two ago everytime I first turn on the computer it automatically go to set up.  I have to hit esc then enter and it boots up like it suppose to:  Here is the boot up sequence:

Quiet Boot:  enabled

Quick Boot: enabled

Restore on AC/Power Loss:  Last state

On LAN:  Power on

On PME stay off

1st boot:  Floppy

2nd boot:  ARMD-FDD

3rd boot:  IDE-HDD

4th boot:  ATAPI CDROM

5th boot Disabled

How do I get it to boot up the way it suppose to and bypass the set up each time.

George

1.9K Posts

January 20th, 2004 22:00

In BIOS, press F9 to default all BIOS settings.  If that doesn't clear it up, you could attempt to go to advanced/boot config/and change 'reset configuration settings' to 'yes', then F10 to exit and save changes.

Post back....

5 Posts

January 21st, 2004 10:00

I tried both methods and it still boots up in set up!  Any other suggestions please.

1.1K Posts

January 21st, 2004 19:00

You can try clearing the NVRAM. You can find instructions here:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

1.9K Posts

January 22nd, 2004 01:00

Are you getting any other messages along with the "press del to enter setup" prompt?

5 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 09:00

I am not getting any messages at all, it automatically comes up in the setup screen after I type in my password.   Once I hit the escape key it boots to windows normally. 

1.9K Posts

January 22nd, 2004 10:00

Wait -

A Windows password, or does the system have a BIOS password?  The timing of the two should be quite different, with the system (in effect) already loading BIOS by the time you'd have to type in a Windows password.

(?)

5 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 23:00

Sorry, I gave the wrong sequence. 

Power Up

Setup Menu Comes Up

Hit Esc

Yes

Windows comes up and ask for password.

George

1.9K Posts

January 23rd, 2004 00:00

Has the system been moved, and possibly the jumper loosened/fallen off of the motherboard? :

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

"maintenance mode" would certainly bring BIOS up at each boot....

5 Posts

January 23rd, 2004 13:00

I did install a new harddrive and have been moving it around in the room quite a bit.  I will check to make sure the jumper did not come off.  Thanks for all the info.
No Events found!