Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2010 10:00

Dell Dimension 8300 Memory & Video Card Upgrade

Okay, so I'm still holding on to my (old) 8300 400 MHz XP Professional SP3, (I do have 2 other newer computers) but  am looking at increasing memory from 516 MB to the full 4GB's. Also the AGP card I want to upgrade and from what I've researched is it true no bigger then 256MB will work? Looking for any inputs on recommendations to upgrade this computer :emotion-11:

370 Posts

January 19th, 2010 16:00

Can't answer all your questions, but I'll pass along my 2-cents' worth since I still have an 8300 (actually, the grandkids are using it now). It's still a pretty solid performer.

Going to 1 GB of memory should be noticeable; beyond that, I doubt you will see much difference unless you're running an unusual amount of memory intensive programs. And XP (32-bit) can only use a little over 3GB anyway. So I'd recommend 1 GB; 2 GB at the most.

Check the power requirements for any new video cards you are considering. Having to upgrade the PSU might not be worth the money.  I went to a GeForce 7600 when my original card failed. Works great, but that card was only a minor upgrade--you can probably do better.

7 Posts

January 24th, 2010 06:00

That said the either the chassis fan or the power supply fan has been running at higher RPM's for a while, not sure when that started...i suspect that is may be a thermal sensor not that the video card is generating that much more heat nor that the power supply is either.

I just verified it is not the chassis fan, but the CPU Fan ... 3.0 MHz P4 Processor ..(there is no chassis fan LOL). Still need to look into why that is happening... I am not running anything to cause much more heat on the processor...this used to be a very quiet machine meaning the fans rarely kicked into higher RPM's)

7 Posts

January 24th, 2010 06:00

Hey atving44.

I hate to nitpick then again it is obvious that RChris probably typoed.. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 (using it now).

It is a 32 Bit machine.  Windows 32 Bit will only address 3 GB of ram (not MB) :emotion-2: so unless you are installing VMWare workstation, Windows and probably most Linux 32 bit OS's will never use that last 1 GB if you install 4 GB. Install 2-1GB  and 2-512 MB chips to max it out. Try to get matching speed across all 4 chips meaning all DDR 2700 or DDR 3200 with CL 2.5 or CL3.0. -- again across all 4 sticks. (will you notice a difference if they don't all match... no...but your system will.) :emotion-5:

I upgraded/replaced the video card from the Orignal GEforce 5200 as it failed, with a VisionTek (ATI Chip) HD2400 Pro with 512MB of VRAM, and it performs just fine. It does require to be plugged into a standard Molex power line (same as for PATA HDD). That said the either the chassis fan or the power supply fan has been running at higher RPM's for a while, not sure when that started...i suspect that is may be a thermal sensor not that the video card is generating that much more heat nor that the power supply is either.

No Events found!