Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 11th, 2012 15:00

Dell Dimension E520 CPU Upgrade

Hi, i'm upgrading my CPU because this one is too slow, and the one I am getting I will be paying 80$ instead of the usual 250$ price. I would love to know if they are compatible with my system. All I know is they have the same socket type (LGA 775). Heres the link to it : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115060CVF 

These are my current computer specs : 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1GB GDDR5 128bit AMD video card, 1.86Ghz Intel core 2 duo CPU (Rated at 3.33Ghz), and a 305W power supply.

If I would need to change the power supply, I'd love to know because I have one here that is 750w I could also use. Thanks.

Daren

*P.S : I know i'll have to update my BIOS because I am currently at version 2.2.1, and the latest is 2.2.4 (Or something like that) should I just bring it to somebody to do it for me, or is it easy to update? I don't know where the find them, so if possibly somebody could direct me, I have Pheonix technologies BIOS.

Thank you very much again!  

February 12th, 2014 09:00

I wasn't aware of these. However, from the pictures it would seem that these cards would be too long to fit into the E520 case without coming up against the CPU heat sink shroud. They look enormous.

February 12th, 2014 09:00

I would have thought that leaving the MSI plastic shroud off the GPU wouldn't be a bad idea. With the airflow from the CPU cooler going directly over the GPU heat sink it might actually work better that way. BTX case design has some distinct advantages with regard to cooling and this might be a way of leveraging that.

June 20th, 2014 14:00

For anyone out there still following this thread, I have just finished a rebuild of another E520. I chose the Asus GTX750-PHOC-1GD5 graphics card http://www.asus.com/au/Graphics_Cards/GTX750PHOC1GD5/ . It is cheap, (less than $AUD150), robust, powerful and a single slot, so it fits into the E520 case. However, the heat sink on the GTX is double slot height, so I did have to undertake some minor surgery to the Dell CPU cooling shroud: three very small V-shaped notches in the lower rear edge of the shroud corresponding to the points where the cooling shroud on the GTX750 made contact. However, damage to the Dell shroud was minimal. Best thing is, this card is very energy efficient so does not require a PSU upgrade or a dedicated power plug; it draws all of its power straight from the PCIe slot. Highly recommend this card for any E520 owners looking for a really good graphics solution.

3 Posts

August 27th, 2014 13:00

Neil

I saw you added a SSD for OS and  installs, and 2 HDs in Raid 1. Do you have a picture of where you mounted the SSD? Im looking to do the same thing, heres what I was planning on using:

Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE250BW

Western Digital Black 2TB drives.

Was also going to use this as well: http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-18-Inch-Locking-90-Degree-108783/dp/B009GUXU52/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_img_z

So I just want to know where to mount the SSD and the 2 HDs. My e520 has dual optical drives in place: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-R

August 28th, 2014 04:00

Hi, pics not really necessary. On the E520 there is a 3.5" bay for a floppy drive or card reader immediately beneath the 2 optical drive bays. I have installed my SSD in there using a 3.5" adapter that came with the Intel SSD. I don't use a floppy drive or card reader on this machine (obsolete). I have two WD Caviar Black 1TB HDDs installed using the blue plastic Dell caddies in the two bays at the bottom front of the case. Yes, the 90 degree SATA cables are a must for installing HDDs in the E520 as a straight connector will push right up against the removable side cover on the computer case and you risk an unacceptable bend in the cable as a consequence.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 28th, 2014 11:00

For the video card PICS ARE necessary because ONLY single slot cards work.  GTX750PHOC1GD5 is a specific version of card.

Mounting SSD'S can be done in several ways.

R494D 2.5 inch caddy fits inside the DN8MY 3.5 inch blue caddy.

The Silverstone adapter has all the mount points of a standard 3.5" hard drive, and it's only $8 with free shipping. It holds two 2.5" devices stacked.

So the SSD Adapter caddy is 0R494D

3 Posts

August 28th, 2014 13:00

Thanks Neil, makes complete sense and how I saw myself doing it. One question, Im trying to decide on a SSD. I was either going to go with the  Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256 GB or the Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB. I know the pro has 5yr warrant, and the Evo has 3 yr. One is 118 dollars and the other is 165. What would you guys recommend between the two. Im just using the SSD for OS and programs. All data storage will be on the WD black hard drive

10 Posts

...and if you check the pictures posted by Tremors, you will see that double slot cards will also fit! :emotion-2:

I was replying to the previous question from bmwtye about mounting an SSD plus 2 X HDDs, which asked "Do you have a picture of where you mounted the SSD? ". The E520 only has two HDD bays that take the DN8MY caddy, hence my suggestion to mount it in the 3.5" floppy bay. That question did not refer to a video card. In my earlier post of 20 June I detailed quite specifically what was required to mount the Asus GTX750-PHOC-1GD5 video card.

10 Posts

August 28th, 2014 15:00

My experience with SSDs is this, FWIW.  I first bought a Samsung 830 and found the support to be lacking: their software 'seeing' it as what it is, yet denying all tools to update firmware or other needed tools.

Intel, on the other hand, has easy to use and effective tools, plus the reliability reputation that the other makers dream of. Yes, they are usually more costly, but what is the cost of HD failure and frustration at a system that won't work properly?

I bought 3 more Intels for other machines.

Recently. I bought a 450gB Seagate SSD for $180 (US).  They are working at overcoming some past issues with their drives via good customer support and decent tools, plus a cool software disk check that can lead right to online RMA with codes sent to them, if need be.  I got that far with this drive but was able to use their software to clear and reformat the drive, which made it 'defect' free and function in the spousal laptop.  The warranty is also 3 years, even on the 'open box' drive who someone had made 'unusable via unformatting or something.

\My Dell runs a 180gB Intel, bought on closeout or open box for less than most other similar size SSDs.  A 500gB D: drive does the heavy internal storage with the bulky stuff, on a network RAID drive.

I choose companies that support their products, and Samsung fell outside that group, for me.

I am amazed at how fast this enhanced old Dell is!  That , primarily due to Neil and some others here, who blazed a trail with patience for the 'unwashed'!

3 Posts

August 28th, 2014 16:00

What intels did you use? 

Ive always been weary about Seagate, havent had the best experience with them but maybe they have turned things around. 

The reason i considered samsung was all the reviews I had been seeing on the 840 series. and now I just saw their 850 pro-series comes with a 10 year warranty. 

10 Posts

August 28th, 2014 18:00

The first is in this laptop, which is a 160gB x25. Both it and my Dell boot in under 30 seconds, with snappy performance following.

The Seagate is the newest but at $0.40/gB, I couldn't resist.

August 29th, 2014 13:00

I have no first-hand experience of Samsung SSDs so I really can't comment on them. I originally had an OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" 120Gb SSD in my E520. In November last year it failed beyond any possibility of recovery, instantly and without warning, after about two years when it was not long out of warranty. I was not particularly impressed. I did some online research and decided on an Intel 530 series 240Gb to replace it. The decision was based on three factors: the five-year warranty that Intel offered on the product, the reviews posted by other purchasers about it on the online store where I shop for parts, and the reputation for reliability that Intel has more generally. The Intel cost me about $AUD180, which did not seem to me excessively expensive. So far it has been brilliant. The software support from Intel is first class and includes the Intel SSD Toolbox, which is a simple diagnostic and tuning application. I subsequently bought another Intel 530 series (120Gb) to install in a second E520 for my wife. So far, so good!

3 Posts

September 28th, 2014 05:00

Hi unrelated to this post but on the point of cpu upgrades for e520 lga775 socket. I have just stumbled upon 771 to 775 cpu adapters intended for use with xeon processors. Google 771 to 775. Thanks I know this post is old but I love my e520 and love that i can keep it alive and kicking

27 Posts

September 29th, 2014 21:00

I have had no success in installing LGA 775 Xeon CPUs in a Dimension e520 even with LGA 771 to 775 adapters. I tried using Xeon E5450 and E5440 CPUs--yet to no avail. So I would suggest sticking with comparable Core2Quad processors for the e520. They cost more--but at least they are compatible. The computer I'm using right now to write this message is an e520 equipped with an Intel C2Q Q6600.

On the other hand--I have had success in installing several Xeon E5450 and E5440 CPUs in my Dell Optiplex 330s and Optiplex 360s. Just make sure you use the CO stepping variations of the E5450 and E5440. Using the EO stepping variety may require BIOS modding. I've also installed a Xeon X3363 CPU in an Optiplex 755.

For more information I would suggest you visit the delidded.com site which has a plethora of information on this topic. Unfortunately, to this day, no one has yet reported success with installing a LGA 775 Xeon CPU in an e520 according to this site.

No Events found!