Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2012 13:00

Dell Dimension E521 power supply question

Hello again.

I received a power supply today that I ordered off Ebay from a seller Kobewoo listed specifically for this machine and it does not fit! It is a 650watt gold colored supply and it wont even mount flush because of the powercord receiver besel. Not only will it not mount right, the sata cables will not reach from the cd drive to the hard drive. This thing is a cheap piece of <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> ! I tried to run a Molex to Sata adapter cable to one of the Molex connections and the plugs just shoved out of the connection lol.

My question then becomes do I really need to upgrade the powersupply? The graphics card that I am going to install says that it requires a minimum power of 350watts and the supply in there now is 305watts. I am just looking for a cheap but reliable upgrade just enough to run the graphics card and a blu-ray writer.

I hope that others looking to make this upgrade will read this post and not buy the cheapo powersupply off ebay that I did.

So any recommendations for a quality powersupply that will fit right and have the proper Sata connections that will reach to all the components I need to supply power to would be highly appreciated.

Thank you so much

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 25th, 2012 14:00

Cat Shepherd

It would help to include the video card make and model in the post.

As the video card manufacturers overstate their cards power requirements and Dell rates their power supplies at Steady State loads, not Peak loads like most other manufacturers, the card should work with the default 305w PSU.

Look for either an Corsair, or Antec PSU,  you can install most standard ATX power supplies with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector.

As the E521 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be installed.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You will need a power supply, with four SATA power connectors.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Cat Shepherd

The EVGA GeForce 8400 GS should work fine with the 305w power supply.

I've using an EVGA Geforce 9400 GT in my Inspiron 530MT that has a 300w PSU for several years, without any issues.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 25th, 2012 15:00

Cat Shepherd

Yep, you should be able to install a Blu-ray drive without  any issues, I'm running 2 x SATA HDs, 2 Burners, card reader and a E8400 Core 2 Duo processor  in the 530MT.

Bev.

14 Posts

Hi Bev..the card is a EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1 GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA . If I don't need a bigger power supply for the card, will it make any difference in power consumption if I add a Blu-Ray writer? Thanks a lot for your quick responses I really appreciate your help! Thank You

14 Posts

June 25th, 2012 15:00

So if my computer spontaneously combusts I can blame you right? lol just kidding..Thanks for your help Bev it is appreciated. I'll just give it a go without upgrading the power.

oh yeah, it wont make a difference if I add the Blu-ray drive? I don't know what drive I'll add but it will be retail.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 25th, 2012 16:00

Cat Shepherd

You are welcome.  :emotion-21:

Bev.

14 Posts

June 25th, 2012 16:00

Well that does it.

Thank You!

No Events found!