Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 5th, 2013 12:00

Dell GX270 - beep code indicates memory, but maybe bad caps?

I have an Optiplex GX270 desktop.  When booting, the beep code is 1-3-2 but using known good memory makes no difference.  None of the caps appear swollen and none are leaking, but I'm out of ideas to try.  I left the CMOS battery out overnight and just tried it again - same beep code.  What is the likelihood that bad caps could cause this kind of problem?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 5th, 2013 12:00

I have an Optiplex GX270 desktop.  When booting, the beep code is 1-3-2 but using known good memory makes no difference.  None of the caps appear swollen and none are leaking, but I'm out of ideas to try.  I left the CMOS battery out overnight and just tried it again - same beep code.  What is the likelihood that bad caps could cause this kind of problem?

SVJeff

It could be, the GX270 is notorious for bad caps, and any replacement motherboards are from the same era,  :emotion-9:

Bev.

105 Posts

December 5th, 2013 13:00

It could be, the GX270 is notorious for bad caps

Right, I've had several bad ones and even had a few fixed.  I just didn't know if the memory beep codes could be caused by bad caps - I've never run across one that wasn't fixed by replacing the bad RAM stick, so I thought I'd ask.

105 Posts

December 9th, 2013 12:00

Just checking in... has anyone seen this kind of memory error caused by bad caps?  I'm not opposed to fixing this unit, I just want to narrow my gremlin-chasing as much as possible before I start.

No Events found!