Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2016 17:00

Dell Inspiron 580s weird noises from components and GPU issues.

Hi, I have a question about my desktop, It is 7 years old and still running at incredible speed, only issue is its occasional GPU Failure if something graphically intensive occurs. Also I believe the HDD is failing due to "Operating" like sounds. I can not explain it well but it sounds like the computer may be slowly dying but speed wise it isnt showing anything. I think it is the HDD because i know nothing is colliding with the fans.

Since it is Integrated graphics and the GPU uses some of the CPU's power to the GPU (which is in theory what Integrated GPU's do) . So is there any way to Direct the CPU's Power at a greater amount to the GPU since the CPU is not used heavily. the processor is a I3-550 @ 3.2 GHZ and the GPU model is a Intel (R) HD 4000 Graphics, and apparently it is a earlier model of the Ivy Bridge,

Thanks if anyone has a answer because so far I have not found anything on this. The HDD issue is only if you can think of what is causing it and it is fine if I am not specific enough because it is difficult to describe.

Reply if more information needed aswell~

13 Posts

January 30th, 2016 13:00

Well at its age I am sure multiple components will fail in the future so I am not willing at this point of time to install new cards to the computer. I realize it is not  a gaming system, i Just mean casual gaming, not graphically intensive games. I have run the Diagnostics for the HDD and then for all component and so far there has been no errors. The only error I have ever received was a Integrated GPU failure but nothing besides that. Thanks for trying to answer it though, i think the noise is just from age.

Thank you!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 30th, 2016 13:00

BattleGaming

Power cannot be diverted to the Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics, best to install a Low Profile PCIe x 16 graphics/video card in the Inspiron 580s.

Note: The 580s is not a gaming system and only has a 250w power supply, this may needed to be upgraded to suit the PCIe card's requirements.

Regards to the Hard Drive, try running Dell Diagnostics extended test on the HD, to test for any errors, or failures.

Restart the computer, press the 'F12' key on the Dell logo, then Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu to run the extended test on the hard drive.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 30th, 2016 14:00

BattleGaming

Try checking the CPU and case fans for noise.

Bev.

13 Posts

January 31st, 2016 09:00

I checked the fans and there is nothing disrupting them besides normal fan noises and the CPU fan is running fine as well. I think it may be that the HDD is loose or another component is loose therefor creating the noise. But the only issue is that I checked while it was full powered down with anti static bands on and there was nothing loose at all inside the case. So I would think it is about to fail or just die of old age. Thanks you though Sheagordie~

~Battle

No Events found!