Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 6th, 2012 19:00

Dell Inspiron 620 MT - Cannot use button on front bezel to open 2nd optical drive, the sequel

My original post referenced a blu-ray burner that was not compatible with the front panel button on my new Dell Inspiron 620 MT.  After trying - and failing - to open the drive via software (using Roxio Creator Starter, included on the 620), I made the assumption that the blu-ray drive was defective and returned it.  Well, I got a new drive and I'm right back where I started.  The button on the front panel of the Inspiron does not make contact with the button on the drive and will not operate it.  I've made sure the drive is properly positioned in the drive bay and secured in place; I checked in Windows Control Panel to make sure the new drive is recognized and working properly; I also ran a free program called "Speccy" that checks the status of the key components of my computer (Speccy is from the same folks who bring you Crap Cleaner if you're not familiar with the program).  Every test indicates that the blu-ray drive is installed properly and, most importantly, working.  But the front panel button is not making contact with the drive button, so I can't open the drive to install the blu-ray software (it HAS to be installed using the drive; I've tried it with the DVD drive that came with the Inspiron and it doesn't fly).  FWIW, the blu-ray drive is an LG WH14NS40 12x blu-ray burner.  It has an uncommon front panel that doesn't have a typical "button," there's a contoured, raised "bump" that is pushed to open or close the drive.  It's just not lining up with the Inspiron's front panel switch.  My options are 1.) return the drive for a refund and try something else (which is not my preferred option as this drive has received very good reviews and I suspect I can trust it if I can get it to work), or 2.) find out if anyone has a workaround that will allow me to use this drive.  I throw myself at the mercy of the great knowledge base out there.  You helped me get this far, I hope you can help me get to the finish line.

Thanks in advance.

June 6th, 2012 20:00

Hi Windyman2012,

Welcome to the Dell Community.

I understand that the Blu-ray burner that you purchased separately   for the Inspiron 620 MT is not accessible as when you push the button to open the tray, it does not respond.

I would like to inform you that on the LG WH14NS40 12x Blu-ray burner, the eject button is positioned more towards the left from the edge. So, the button positioning does not match with plungers on the front bezel to make contact.

I would request to try the following step:-

Go to “Computer”>> Select the Blu-ray drive>Right click on the icon >> Select “Eject”

Please check if that helps you eject the drive.

Please try these steps and let me know of the outcome.

Glad to be of assistance

Thanks,

Manpreet

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 7th, 2012 09:00

LG 12X SATA Blu-Ray DVD Burner with Lightscribe  WH12LS38  works for me.

23 Posts

June 6th, 2012 22:00

Thank you for your reply Manpreet.  You've added another concern because the drive did not open when I clicked on "eject."  The drive is recognized by my computer, which reports that it is working properly.  I'm sure I installed the drive properly (including proper cable connections).  But no response.  Not looking good for the drive here.

23 Posts

June 7th, 2012 07:00

So it's back to the drive being incompatible with the Inspiron 620 front bezel button.  Can anyone recommend a 12x blu-ray burner that will work with my computer?

23 Posts

June 7th, 2012 17:00

I wasn't able to find that exact LG drive, but did see the WH12LS39 model on a couple of sites (at a similar price to what I paid for the WH14NS40.  Do you know if this model has a button similar to the model you suggested?

23 Posts

June 7th, 2012 17:00

Forgot to mention that I saw pictures of the WH12LS39 model on the two sites (don't know if it's cool to mention them here, so I won't).  It appears it has a workable button, but I want to be sure before I pull the trigger again.  Thanks again for your help.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 7th, 2012 19:00

I tend to get my drives from local microcenter. If they didnt work I would take them back.  The main issue I see with some drives is that some are shorter than the original so you need to make sure the front panels are flush.

Anyway the All the LG drives Ive used work fine and have a button on the front panel that mates up with the plastic bezel on my 620.

Try F2 and Go into CMOS.  If the drive then works open/close then WINDOWS is Holding the drive closed.

Seen this before with Software Packet driver conflict.

23 Posts

June 8th, 2012 00:00

Thanks for the additonal info, SpeedStep.  I've already sent the drive back; the retailer (it's newegg.com, if I'm allowed to mention them) was really speedy about issuing another RMA and there's a Staples store nearby that does UPS.  BTW; I found the WH12LS38 on amazon.com and from the pics, it looks identical to the WH12LS39 I saw there and on newegg.com.  Gonna roll the dice one more time :)

9 Posts

January 10th, 2017 11:00

Hi Windyman2012

Not sure you can help but I cannot get the CD/DVD Drive out of my 620MT, reading your blog and the answers it looks like you have cracked the problem of removing the Optical Drive and Replacing it.

I have removed the two retaining screws on the side of the internal Drive Bay but the drive itself just will not move, according to the manual it should just push out through the front flap.

Any ideas would be appreciated

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 13th, 2017 09:00

The face plate/Bezel must be removed to get the drive out. You lift 3 tabs slightly then the face plate/bezel rolls off like a door opening.

No Events found!