Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 16th, 2012 20:00

Dell Inspiron One 2320 Nvidia GeForce GT 525m Overheating?

Hello. I have a Dell Inspiron One 2320 that I believe has overheating problems with the GeForce GT525m Video Card. Within 5 minutes of playing a game, even on low detail settings the temperature quickly reaches 90+ Degrees Celsius. The max I have seen is 96 Degrees. This has occurred from day one with the computer and I have rarely used it to due to this issue. I know there are no issues with the fans and vents being dirty because I have inspected them all and as I mentioned before the machine ran hot from day one. Airflow behind the unit is wide open so I know that there are no airflow obstructions.

My wife has a laptop (Inspiron 17R) with an Nvidia GeForce GT525m that I have tested the same games and benchmarks out on, with even higher detail settings and she reaches temperatures of around 70 Degrees Celsius max. 

It seems odd to me that a GPU reaches such a high temperature in such a short amount of time. I have other machines (Laptops and Desktops) that never come close to reaching 90 Degrees.

Here is some relevant information about the PC in question.

Model: Inspiron One 2320

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400S

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT525m DDR3

RAM: 6GB

BIOS Revision: A10

Nvidia Drivers: Tested Multiple Versions Dell 8.17.12.7073 & Nvidia Version 306.97 No temperature changes between drivers, all reach around 90 Degrees Celsius.

If anyone has similar experiences to this or has any solutions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 14:00

Overheating was a problem with mine I made a drastic decision. To fit 120mm cooling fans to the back cover. Check youtube for videos on these mods.

Cooling is normally a problem on these with many users complaining of black screens and reboots one of the videos shows how to fit fans/vents to the back to increase cooling.

So I have a Dell 2320 with i5 2500K (Non Dell) quad core CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 2 TB Hard drive, standard DVD writer still in use via USB and back cover mounted led fans cooling the GPU and CPU.

Games played at max settings use to heat the motherboard to 97 degrees with the fans in place it's dropped -22 degrees to 75c meaning the machine not only performs better but will last a lot longer due to the extra cooling.

I use Core Temp to monitor temperature and OCCT to stress test.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

October 16th, 2012 23:00

Hi Rafterman414,

I suggest that you run a stress test on the video card. To run the test, click on ‘All Programs’ select ‘Dell Support Center’ and then click on ‘Launch PC checkup’.  In the ‘Dell Support Center 3.0’ window, click on ‘PC checkup’ button and then on ‘Run Custom Scan’.   In this window all the system devices will be listed, from the list click on ‘Video Card’ under ‘Video Devices’ and run a stress test on the video card.  Please reply to the post with the status of the test.

Please private message the service tag of the system to check few details. I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Thanks and Regards,
Sujatha K
#iworkfordell

62 Posts

October 17th, 2012 14:00

Hi Sujatha,

I do not have an option to conduct just a stress test on the GeForce 525m. I can only do a system wide stress test which seems to not test the GeForce 525m, only the Intel HD Graphics and the CPU, HDD, RAM etc... The only test that I can see for the GeForce GT 525m is the PCI Express Status Test which passes successfully. I am running Dell Support Center 3.2.6032.55.

62 Posts

October 19th, 2012 14:00

I ran the stress test. Temperatures got to 89 Degrees Celsius. The stress test that came with the Dell Support Center did not seem very stressful however, it looked more like a cheap benchmark from 2001.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

October 20th, 2012 02:00

Rafterman414,

Now the system is in a mode where it switches between graphic cards depending the application you are working on. I suggest that you change the settings such that, the system uses only NVidia graphic card.  Follow the steps given below to set the same:

Please right click the mouse on the ‘Desktop’ and you will see a window l pop up.  Left click and select ‘NVidia control panel’.  

Step 1 - Click on the line that says Manage 3D Setting, like shown in the picture below.

When you click on Manage 3D Settings, the right side of the control panel will look similar to what is shown above.

Click on the Global Settings tab if it is not already selected.

Step 2 -  Under "Preferred graphics processor", change this to read "High Performance NVIDIA Processor" like shown below.  Then Apply your settings. This will set ALL of your programs to use the NVIDIA GPU all the time.

NOTE:  This procedure will consume more battery power since all programs will now use the NVidia GPU. 

I would also like to know, how are you measuring the temperature of the system. Please private message the service tag of the system. 

Thanks and Regards,                                             
Sujatha K
#iworkfordell

62 Posts

November 3rd, 2012 17:00

I use open Hardware Monitor as well to check temperatures.

62 Posts

November 3rd, 2012 17:00

Did all that. For monitoring temperatures I mostly use HWMonitor and speedfan. What I am really trying to find out for starters is what is the thermal limit of this GPU? Could it be possible that whoever assembled the system did not apply enough thermal paste or somehow apply it incorrectly resulting in very little heat transfer onto the heatsink?

62 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 16:00

Thanks for the tip UCG! 22 degrees is a significant amount of cooling. I will be checking out these mods. Are you able to do any overclocking with the 2500K due to the better cooling or does the stock bios prevent that? Thanks again!

No Events found!