Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2013 11:00

Dell Inspiron One BSODing and ineffective startup repair

Hello all,

Recently my Inspiron One 2320 started freezing a lot and required a hard shut down. Then when it started booting up, it would quickly flash a blue screen of death and then reboot. Sometimes when it boots, it doesn't show the BIOS but rather a black screen, at which I hard shut down and boot up again, which usually works. Anyways, when it boots, I get the option to boot into startup repair or Windows 7. Selecting Windows 7 just causes it to BSOD again, so I select Startup Repair. Sometime it works, other times I have to use the Startup repair from the Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium upgrade disc I have from when there was that free upgrade to Windows 7 when you bought a Vista computer (I did not get recovery discs with my Dell). Either method usually takes a while (10-15 minutes) to get to the actual Startup repair screen. The disc method freezes and loads a lot at the menus. Once startup repair works, it take about 20 minutes to figure out what's wrong, and then says "Attempting repairs... Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete." (It takes about 2~3 hours.)(I actually ran a command line from the upgrade disc once and did chkdsk and it found no errors, but Startup repair later says "Repairing disk errors" nonetheless.) Then it reboots and I have a seeming working Windows 7. However, after a while, it starts freezing and the whole cycle starts again.

So I reinstalled Windows 7 (using that upgrade disc), and everything seemed fine for the first few boots, but then the computer started freezing and hanging again and a hard shut down initiates the same cycle as above.

Right now it is "Attempting repairs," but when it's done and reboots, I will use this Linux "rescue" USB I have to run memory tests, because I think that might be the culprit, but can anyone offer some of their own insight and opinion on why my computer is doing this?

Thanks in advance!

-Soutlet

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 20th, 2013 12:00

You should run the diagnostics and check the hard drive. Disk errors might mean the Drive is failing. No use repairing a failing drive.

2 Posts

July 20th, 2013 14:00

Mary:

Thanks for the advice. I ran the diagnostic and got an error code for teh hard drive. Googling the error code shows my drive is failing. Since my computer is out of warranty, I'm going to buy a new one and reinstall Windows. Thanks for your help!

-soutlet

No Events found!