Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2015 13:00

Dell Keeps Saying To Download Same Drivers Over And Over Again

When I go to the Drivers and Downloads page of the support section, it keeps telling me to keep download the exact same drivers - even though I already downloaded, extracted, and installed them.

For example, it keeps telling me to download and install the BIOS, even though I am on the latest BIOS (the same one they keep telling me to download).

Another one is the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility. It doesn't matter how many times I download and install it, every time I go back to the drivers and downloads page, whenever I do a system analysis, it tells me to download the exact same drivers.

I am using firefox 36.0.4, but it happens with EVERY BROWSER I'VE TRIED (IE, Opera, Chrome, and FF).

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Dell Optiplex 780 SFF E8400, 4GB Ram

March 26th, 2015 09:00

Bump

5.2K Posts

March 26th, 2015 12:00

Are you having a problem with operation? You rarely need to do driver or BIOS updates unless you are having a problem and a driver update claims to solve this problem. You shouldn't use the driver update program. Search the list of drivers for you model that may be linked to the issue and read the description. Then, if necessary, manually update that driver.

March 26th, 2015 20:00

Thanks for the reply, KIRKD:

Are you having a problem with operation?

Yes, I am having a problem running lightroom, and ONLY Lightroom, 5.7.1

If you would like to see what the symptoms are, you can read them here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19624322

You rarely need to do driver or BIOS updates unless you are having a problem and a driver update claims to solve this problem.

Of course, the first thing that any software tech person says whenever you have a problem is, "Make sure ALL your drivers are up to date!"

Search the list of drivers for you model that may be linked to the issue and read the description. Then, if necessary, manually update that driver.

I will try that. But I doubt that there is any driver that will be linked directly to, "One program on your machine hangs and spikes your CPU over and over and over again."

But I think you make a very good point and I am thankful about your advice. I will try to be more cautious when updating drivers and bios and do my best to figure out which driver does what.

March 30th, 2015 07:00

One more thing...

I am pretty sure this computer NEVER had the official Dell drivers installed.

I bought this computer with NO operating system on it (the HD had been wiped clean).

I purchased a copy of Win 7 Pro 64-bit and installed it. I don't think I installed official Dell drivers.

So I think I need to install at least SOME of the drivers that the Dell driver utility is telling me to install.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 30th, 2015 08:00

The download list has all the drivers you might need if you ever have to reinstall drivers such as when you reinstall windows. It doesn't mean you need any of them right now. It is not an analysis of your needs, just a complete list of drivers for your model. Some of them might not even be for your configuration.

No Events found!