Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2016 07:00

Dell OptiPlex 3030 powers up, fan runs, but the screen is black

Hi, I am a new IT person at a very small school. Our receptionist has a OptiPlex 3030 All In One. Her computer has been working fine, but this morning when she turned it on it just powered up and the screen stayed black. We tried numerous times to restart it and we keep getting the same result. I've now unplugged it and we haven't touched it in a while. I'm not quite sure what to do in this situation. I am going to try connecting another display to it. But I was wondering if anyone knew of a solution to this? I read somewhere that inserting the OS disk and reinstalling the Windows 10 would work, but I don't want to have to do that.

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2016 08:00

Tried to connect a second display and that didn't work either.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 22nd, 2016 12:00

Try powering off and unplugging the power cord from REAR of PC. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Then reconnect power cord to rear of PC and see if it works now.

I don't see a setup guide on line, but there may be a button somewhere on the screen that controls video output. That button may turn off the built-in screen and send the output to an external monitor.

If you connect an external monitor, you'll probably have to press that button to send video to the monitor, and it may take several presses, one at a time, to cycle through all the options.

No Events found!