Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2013 04:00

Dell OptiPlex 9010 AIO - Random Flashing / Blinking Screens

We have over the last few months deployed about 35 of the OptiPlex 9010 AIO's.  I have at least 8 of them with users reporting an intermittent flashing / flickering of the screen.  This happens maybe twice a day - it took a while for users to come forward because it really was a blink and you'll miss it. You can't 'make' it flash by doing anything like opening programs or moving the screen about.

I've checked all the versions of the BIOS on the machines that are flashing and ones that are not, and we can't find any common theme at all i.e it flashes on new BIOS versions, older ones, and it also doesnt flash on those same varying BIOS version.  They are from 3 separate orders so its not even like it is one batch that is faulty.

One of them was doing it once every 10 mins or so last week, but now I have that machine on my desk and it's not doing it at all now.

I'm going through the Dell support channel with these and am currently trying to see if it will flash in the BIOS and trying to rule various things out.

Has anyone else had this problem or have ay suggestions. There was a deleted thread on here that shows up in a google search that potentially suggests McAfee might have something to do with it - but again, why on some and not others.

Any and all help appreciated!!!

3 Posts

September 19th, 2013 04:00

Hi Osprey4

Yes subtle it is! I have been onto support for the last couple of days and they have advised that they are aware of the issue and hopefully have a firmware fix in the pipeline.

I will post again when I get their fix and have tested it out.

I'll check out the other posts you suggested also.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 19th, 2013 04:00

Hi TidyUP,

I've seen this issue and it's very subtle. I'm pretty sure I've seen other posts with this issue, also on XPS AIO systems. The solution was some combination of a BIOS update with a video driver. Did you call tech support?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 26th, 2013 17:00

Excellent. Let me know how things work out.

2 Posts

October 7th, 2013 08:00

Hi,

Experiencing the same issue...could you fix it ?

thanks

22 Posts

January 13th, 2014 16:00

Same here!

Any I tried to install the latest Intel video driver, however it won't allow me! apparently Dell has customised the intel video driver to fit the 9010 AIO's on screen display menu and brightness control etc. And Dell has not updated the video driver for a while now.

22 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 17:00

I updated to the newly released A14 BIOS for the 9010 AIO, and it did NOT fix the blinking/flashing screen problem. I think it is a hardware issue.

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 01:00

Hi Everyone

Dell now have a fix for this, it fixes the issue on the 9010, and the 9020 machines.  If you phone or email support, they will need to send you an exe file.  The one I have is called:

EDID_NXP_W7_W8_A00_Setup-K06X8.exe

The tool works as it says for the 9010, for the 9020 I found that the machine boots up (you can hear windows notifications), but the screen stays black, just restart the machine and it boots up fine.

Hope this helps!

22 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 02:00

Hi Tidyup,

Do you mind to send a copy of your file to my email address " Email id removed per privacy policy>" ?

Many thanks for the help and info!

Cheers

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 06:00

Hi TIDYUP,

I would appreciate if you could also send the file to the address Email id removed per privacy policy>

thanks !

April 21st, 2014 02:00

<ADMIN NOTE: Link containing Service tag removed as per privacy policy>

1 Message

June 6th, 2014 14:00

I just bought 7 of these and two of them are doing the exact same thing. I updated the Bios to the new A15 and it did nothing to help.

June 29th, 2014 03:00

Install the EDID Update Tool under "Patches And Fixes" on Dells Support Pages. This fixed the problem for me (works only for machines with touchscreen).

No Events found!