Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2010 11:00

Dell Optiplex 780 BIOS Issue

Hello,

I am trying to image 780's using the Altiris deployment console and a HII and have run into a major dilemma.  I can boot the machine off of a LinuxPE boot disk to start imaging as well as WinPE and the actual downloading of the image works fine.  After the first reboot when Sysprep is suppose to being, it never starts and immediately goes right back to the first Dell logo screen. 

The fix I've found to this was changing the SATA operation from "RAID ON" to the "RAID Autodetect ATA", however my goal is to not be required to change this setting by hand.  We will begin to receive many many many more of these machines so a suggestion on how to automate this or get pointed in the right direction will be greatly appreciated!!!

JP

7 Posts

February 11th, 2010 10:00

Are you using Windows XP?  If you are... check your massstorage section in the sysprep.inf.  Did you do the buildmassstoragesection?  You may need to include drivers for specific device IDs.  Also... you can use nlite to build a slipstreamed base image with the storage drivers slipstreamed into your image before you finalize your image.  Sysprep.inf edits should take care of the issue though.

If it truly is a BIOS issue, you can use DCCU to build a "bios image" and push that down to the devices and set your raid selections in the bios before imaging.  Well... if your using altiris, isn't that the Dell-supported method?  DCCU or a like product could be built-in to those services.  At any rate:  http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R257719&formatcnt=1&libid=0&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=378660

I don't use Altiris, but you may have more available and not need to use DCCU:   http://www.symantec.com/business/theme.jsp?themeid=dell_client_manager

2 Posts

February 11th, 2010 12:00

The editting of the sysprep.inf file I'm pretty sure would've fixed this issue for me.  However, I pinpointed the cause of my problem to an oversight of my own with the software package we use to create our HII.

I do appreciate your effort and suggestions in this matter tremendously!

No Events found!