Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2016 18:00

Dell Optiplex 780 MiniTower, power light flashes amber diagnostic lights 1 & 3 flash

I bought this a couple of years ago from a local computer store. It's been very reliable and I run Ubuntu 16.04 Linux on it. This afternoon I had a power drop of a second or so and since then when trying to boot the issue in the subject happens. I can get to boot as usual by pressing the power supply test button which gives me a green light on the power supply and then pressing the power button will let it boot normally. I don't have any version of Windows installed so it's not possible to run any diagnostic unless there are some Linux based ones.

Thanks for any help

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

November 7th, 2016 18:00

Blinking Amber power: Initial state of light at power up. Indicates system has power, but the POWER_GOOD signal is not yet active. If the Hard Drive light is off, it is probable that the power supply needs to be replaced. If the Hard Drive light on, it is probable that an onboard regulator or VRM has failed. Look at the diagnostic lights for further information.

1+3:  Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error has occurred.

You could try resetting BIOS to see if you can clear the error.

1. Reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reseat RAM modules in their slots
  8. Reinstall battery- good time for new CR2032 coin cell, if this one is old
  9. Close case and reboot

If that helps, go back into BIOS setup, and confirm that all settings match what you wrote down. Be sure to save any changes before exiting setup.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 8th, 2016 11:00

Flashing AMBER power button = BAD power supply.

8 Posts

November 8th, 2016 14:00

Didn't fix it but at least I've got a new BIOS battery installed

8 Posts

November 8th, 2016 14:00

I believe you're correct. After replacing the BIOS battery I now get lights 3&4 flashing, still the amber power light. Playing with the power supply test button and pressing the power button at the same time it finally comes up. Throughout this I've had the amber light flashing -

Initial state of light at power up.
Indicates system has power, but the POWER_GOOD signal is not yet active.
If the Hard Drive light is off, it is probable that the power supply needs to be replaced.
If the Hard Drive light on, it is probable that an onboard regulator or VRM has failed. Look at the diagnostic lights for further information.

I don't see the hard drive light on that I can recall during this. When I was seeing lights 1&3 flash the manual says

Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or compatibility error has occurred.

Now with the battery replacement I'm seeing 3&4 flash on boot

Memory modules are detected, but a memory failure has occurred.

What I'll do overnight is run memtest for 11hrs or so and see what it shows as far as memory issues or not. Otherwise if no ones else has a suggestion I'll replace the power supply.

If I end up replacing the power supply what model number do I need for the Mini-Tower?

No Events found!