Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2016 17:00

Dell Optiplex 780

I like my ten year old computer.  I've tossed the original 250G HD (and Windows too) in favor of a 1000G HD with Linux Mint 18.1.  It behaves perfectly and is quite fast.

I greatly appreciate the quality of the case.  Nice metal which is easy to open without a screwdriver.  But I have some questions.  I understand the maximum RAM is 8G.  Does anyone know if this is true because I want the maximum whatever it turns out to be.  

I rescued this computer from recycling and bought a new monitor for it.  Why anyone would throw away such a nice computer is a mystery to me.  Sure the display output is analog but there are two unused PCI slots.  I can add a digital card with HDMI plug I think without using an external converter which requires it's own power source. This way I can use my smart TV as a monitor.  Do I need a wireless card?  If it were a laptop I'd say "yes" but since it will never be moved around why bother?   I will add a graphics card though to get a visual boost.  I have no need for a high end gaming machine.  I'm in my 70s and low end games are all I can manage.  Besides I do not care for the violence that most of them seem to thrive on. 

If anyone can verify the max RAM I will be grateful.

7 Posts

January 3rd, 2017 02:00

Hello. there are ways to use your HDD to absorb/accept some files from your RAM You can ordinarily use part of  your HDD for "caching" temporary files etc. It's called "virtual memory."  There are instructions on Windows (it's FREE), but I am uninformed if this is avail. w/ Linux. I assume so. You say 1000G HD? That is quite large. There may be a "lotta" room on your drive. Also, 64 bit arch. generally allows for More RAM, sometimes double.

5 Posts

January 3rd, 2017 02:00

Thank you for your reply.  I did not ask about using areas of the hard drive to augment RAM.  I have done this by formatting 20 G as a "linux swap" partition.

The only question I asked you did not answer.   It is:  In my Optiplex 780 what is the maximum designed RAM?   That is all that I want to know.  I think it is 8 G.  Is this true?

Thanks....

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 3rd, 2017 06:00

Max Ram is slightly less than 16 gigs because some ram is stolen for the INTEL Graphics.  Must be INTEL Low Density compatible Ram and cannot be Quad Rank. DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.5V • 512 Meg x 64    finding this ram will be difficult since we have moved on to DDR4

https://www.amazon.com/Timetec-1600MHz-Unbuffered-Desktop-Modules/dp/B00IV19IJ4/

Adding a Video card DOES NOT recover this ram.

• Maximum Memory:16GB
  • Slots:4 (2 banks of 2)

87 Posts

January 3rd, 2017 08:00

You say "Sure the display output is analog.." but the 760 series onwards all have digital output as well as VGA ie. a Display Port socket. Maybe you missed it - has the DP logo next to it.

5 Posts

January 3rd, 2017 10:00

Thanks for both answers.  I'll up it to 8G RAM...   I had no experience with that type of display output port.  I will shop for a suitable cord.

Thanks again.

No Events found!