Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2013 09:00

Dell Optiplex 960 TPM and Bitlocker Issues

Hi,

I have a Dell Optiplex 960 that is running Windows 7, 64-bit, Service Pack 1. The computer has recently been reimaged, and when trying to start Bitlocker the computer shows the error "A Trusted Platform Module (TPM) must be present on this computer, but a TPM was not found." With the same image, it previously used Bitlocker without an issue.

I've done quite a bit of research (read Google and Bing searches), but have come up unsuccessful. Here is what I've tried so far:

• I've updated the BIOS driver to version A17
  • I've installed the Control Point Security Driver Pack and Manager Application

I've also found that in my computer's device manager, I have STMicroelectronics TPM (version 1.0.4.15) installed. However, I saw from other resources this should be under "Security Devices" and mine is located under "System Devices" in the device manager. I looked for an updated driver to install for STMicrolectronics TPM and noticed that there is one available for the Optiplex 960 on Dell's support page, but it is only listed under support for Microsoft XP.

If you have any ideas on what the issue is and how to fix it, this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dell's Optiplex 960 Drivers and Downloads Page

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 27th, 2013 12:00

I imaged a Windows 8 boot drive from a 160gb hard drive to a 260gb Samsun 840, and apart from having to enter the Bitlocker code, I was able to log in.

Did you reinstall Windows manually or did you use an image?

3 Posts

March 27th, 2013 23:00

I installed with an image

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 28th, 2013 09:00

I suggest installing manually.

3 Posts

April 1st, 2013 07:00

I am still running into the same issues. I tried manually installing both 32-bit Windows 7 and 64-bit.

14 Posts

January 30th, 2014 08:00

Any status update or resolution to this issue?

We have a similar issue in our environment. Our issue is with 780s and bitlocker though.

We are still using sccm 2007 and we recently updated the 780 driver package, we have a task sequence to enable bitlocker during the imaging process and it stopped working when we applied the new driver package.

When we uninstall/delete the STMicroelectronics TPM and then scan for hardware changes, the regular trusted platform module 1.2 under security devices gets reapplied and we are able to manually enable bitlocker.

We would of course prefer having it automated as it was before.

14 Posts

February 25th, 2014 14:00

We worked with Dell Support on this and were able to resolve our specific issue which seems to be related to this post.

The STMicro driver was in our reference build and had a newer date then the standard driver (Trusted Platform Module 1.2) So it would pick the newer ST Micro driver instead causing our automated bitlocker task to fail during imaging.

Once we removed the ST Micro from our reference build, our automated bitlocker task is now working again.

Hope this helps your issue and thanks again to Warren from Dell for the help!

Take it easy!

No Events found!