This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 22nd, 2011 06:00

Dell Precision 690 Workstation -NO SOUND

System:

Dell Precision 690 Workstation

Running 64 bit Win 7

Everything was working just fine under Win7 64bit sound and everything..but now I have no sound.

When I play something I see the sound bar move on the sound icon on the task bar but no sound. It is NOT the speakers for I plugged in the speakers into another computer and the speakers work fine.

HELP!
Thanks in advance.

-John

1 Message

October 28th, 2014 02:00

i went to the control panel  went to hardware and sound went to sound clicked the recording tab and disabled my mic or line in and sound started working again

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 22nd, 2011 07:00

What did you add or remove prior to it not working? By the way, I do not see any Win7 drivers for this model. What sound driver did you install when you loaded Win7?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2011 07:00

First, thing, assuming it's not muted, check the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound and finally the Sound panel.  Make sure your "Speakers" are set as the Default Playback Device.  

If it was working OK and nothing was changed or added, the System Restore function MAY get your sound back.  System Restore can be accessed from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.  Choose a recent restore point when it was working properly.  System Restore will not delete any user data or e-mails.

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 10:00

Working the above. I will get back to ya guys.. Thanks for the quick response.... Stay Tuned.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 23rd, 2011 05:00

SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio

Release Date: 6/19/2007

Version: A046.10.0.5511

Importance: Recommended

Download Type: Driver

File Format: Hard-Drive

File Size: 7MB

http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R157052.EXE

Operating Systems

Windows Vista 32-bit

Windows Vista 64-bit

Systems

Dimension Desktop 9200

Dimension Desktop 9200C

Dimension Desktop C521

Dimension Desktop E520

Dimension Desktop E521

OptiPlex 740

Precision 390

Precision 490

Precision 690

XPS Desktop 420

XPS Desktop 710

Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) with Setup.exe File for R157052.EXE

Download

1.Click Download Now, to download the file.

2.When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP

users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK.  The Save In:

window appears.

3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to

select Desktop and click Save.  The file will download to your desktop.

4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close.  The file

icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R157052.EXE.

2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or

unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R157052. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.

Setup.exe) file can be found later.

3.The Self-Extractor window appears.

4.Click OK.

5.After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor

window is still open, close it.

6.Click the Start button and then click Run.

7.Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R157052 in the Open textbox and then click OK.

8.Follow the on-screen installation instructions.            

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2011 09:00

The rear jacks are mounted to the motherboard and realistically are not replaceable and I doubt that the physical jack is the problem. 

If you have something plugged into the front headphone jack, the rear GREEN speaker jack is muted. 

Just plug in the speakers to the rear green speaker jack.  Then go to the Sound Panel, playback section.  Click on the Speakers to highlight that and then click on the Configure Button.  Make sure your speakers, e.g. stereo speakers, are set and then test the speakers in that panel to see if you have any sound.

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2011 09:00

Ok... This is what I did...

I did a restore point and I have sound BUT.... I do not have sound from the rear jack (green / blue). I then plugged my speakers into the front headset jack in front of computer...then is sound.

I did check the drivers and here they are:

The speakers are set as default.

Seems I have the most up to date driver.

It seems there is a hardware problem from the rear jack of the computer.

Is there replacement parts that can be replaced .. for these jacks blue and green are located on the motherboard to the rear of the computer??

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

-John

4 Posts

December 28th, 2011 19:00

Still NO SOUND through the back sound jack (green) via speakers. Sound does go through the front head phone jack..

Driver details:

Creative SB X-Fi

Driver Provider: Creative

Driver Date: 5/5/2010

Driver Version: 6.0.1.1375

Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

Device Type: Sound, video and game controllers

Manufacturer: Creative Technology, Ltd.

Device Status: This device is working properly.

The above was taken from the Device Manager menu.

Can it be a switching issue between the front jack and the rear jack? or?

(also posted below).

-John

1 Message

April 6th, 2012 02:00

Hi John,

My Dimension 9200 developed a similar problem, after a house move! No change in configuration of the PC whatsoever. The speakers simply refused to work when connected to the green rear speaker jack. I solved the problem by plugging the speakers into the front headphone socket. My contention is that its a dodgy connection or built in obsolesence perhaps like the DVD drive on my Dimension 9200 PC that stopped working three days after the warranty expired? I had a similar problem on my previous house move, with the speaker connection, and then the problem was rectified by twisting the speaker connection around in the rear green jack until I got some sound. This time though that did not yield any results apart from some loud humming in the speakers, until when pushed home no sound at all.

1 Message

September 18th, 2015 13:00

What helped me was the post about checking to make sure nothing is muted.

Even if you don't have mute active, you may still have stuff muted without knowing.

Double-click the speaker in the task bar and bring up the master volume.  Check that nothing is muted.  If "Wave" is muted the headphones won't work.

Usually when you press a mute key on your keyboard it will "mute all".  But sometimes "wave" can become muted by itself which prevents headphones from working.

No Events found!