Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2011 21:00

Dell Studio XPS 435MT Hard Drive Fail

I've been having hardware failure of my hard drive detected by the lovely Dell tools of course it's after the warranty has expired. Now I do have another hard drive I can put in this puppy, problem is that when I go to install the OS, it doesn't detect the new drive I put in. Funny I thought so I tried looking through the BIOS, it detects the drive, makes no sense. I tried a different OS, still doesn't detect the drive.

I'm at my wits end and I'm a freaking computer tech for a living and this thing is making me want to drive a freaking hammer to it right now. I've tried the Original Vista Boot OS, it doesn't detect the new hard drive, but will detect the defective drive when I go to install Windows. Again the BIOS does detect both drives.

I've tried different SATA cables, tried RAID ATA and RAID RAID, nothing nada zip. I'm running 1.1.4 for my Bios, but I'm not sure what else to do.

I thought I'll even try to connect the hard drive and use Clonezilla or some other Hard Drive cloning utility, that just errors out.

The test utility did not come back with anything else bad so I'm not thinking it could be anything else, but with this issue, I don't doubt there's something else going wrong. Any help would be great.

Ken

45 Posts

September 5th, 2011 00:00

Some suggestions: Have a XPS 9000-435T. Is AHCI a possible setting in your BIOS as a Sata function. I have to ask, you are not plugging into Sata 6 headers with a Sata 3 drive or vise versa. Never done Vista, XP you have to format and initinalize the drive before you can use it. Windows 7 either way. Had a problem with cables, a Sata 2 drive with plain Sata cable, learned to purchase wisely the next time. Is your DVD-CD ROM set to boot before the hard drive. Run the disc that came with your computer for the utilities, possible driver missing. Does the first screen at boot in the BIOS show all hardware detected, sometimes you have to use the pause- break key because it runs past you. These are the problems I have encountered in the past. Hope it helps.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 5th, 2011 11:00

Are you sure that replacement drive is any good?

Disconnect the original hard drive and connect the new one to the same port. Then remove the motherboard battery and press/hold power button for ~15 sec which will clear BIOS settings.

Reinstall the battery (right-side-up) and see if you can install now.

Ron

No Events found!