Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2012 07:00

Dell Studio XPS 435MT won't start with a CMOS Battery in the computer

My computer has performed beautifully for 3 years.  While I don't have a UPS, I do use a very heavy duty surge protector which has never caused any problems.  Yesterday I had a power outage.  The computer wouldn't start up afterwards.  Upon pressing power, I get a brief orange light on the power button, the fan moves about an inch or so, then nothing.  I searched online and tried removing the CMOS Battery.  That worked and the computer started up again (with no replacement CMOS battery).  I then added back a new CMOS battery (yes, I used the same type of battery), and the computer won't start again (same symptoms).  Remove the CMOS battery, and it works again. 

Does this mean that my motherboard needs replacing?  I wouldn't think so since it works fine without a CMOS battery, but that is annoying because I have to reset my date and time, and some dependent software registrations, each time I boot my computer.

Is there something else I need to do to get the computer to accept a new CMOS battery?

Thanks for any suggestions!

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 18:00

I went with a Thermaltake TR2 430W $48(on sale) at Bestbuy

fixed the problem:emotion-1:

1 Message

February 23rd, 2014 18:00

Hi there...I am looking at the same issue with my power supply...just wanted to ask if the Corsair CX600 is still working well for you - also if it fix easily as I have heard that's an issue with replacing on the Dell XPS.  Thanks for your input.

Janice

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

February 24th, 2014 10:00

15 months later, no issues whatsoever (and it's very quiet). Extremely happy with the purchase. And it was very simple to install. Highly recommend it. Cheers

1 Message

August 14th, 2014 04:00

I also have a DELL Studio XPS 435 MT with the same symptoms (Upon pressing power, I get a brief orange light on the power button, the fan moves about an inch or so, then nothing. ) With certain tricks I can start the computer: I unplug the computer by removing the cord from the back of the computer for 20 seconds, then reconnect the power cable, wait 10 seconds and press the start button at the front of the computer. Tomorrow I am going to check the CMOS battery and the Power Supply Unit. Sokalsky, thanks for your very useful post. .... I'll be back ....
No Events found!