Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 16th, 2015 17:00

Dell System Detect Will not Download

I have a Dell Inspiron 3647 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. It has 8GB RAM. I recently flashed the BIOS from the Dell Support web site. It had version A04, and I flashed it to version A05, without any problems. The next day I downloaded Dell System Detect in order to check my complete system. Dell System Detect is listed in my Control Panel as installed. The Dell System Detect installation ran several minutes(15 or 20), and then I got an error message that said: "The BIOS version is the same or lower than current BIOS Version." The installation would not continue.

Can someone tell me what that means, and what I can do to correct the problem? Would doing a clean installation of my Windows 7 help me? 

Thanks,

Merton82

5.2K Posts

April 17th, 2015 16:00

It means you are OK. The BIOS update worked. This should say that the downloaded update is the same as what you have. I do not like this update program. It's confusing, and many have problems. You should ONLY  do manual downloads and installation of just the BIOS or drivers you need. However, there is rarely a need to download an updated BIOS or drivers. If you are having problems with a piece of hardware, a new driver might help. Never do a BIOS update unless you find out from other users or Dell that it is absolutely necessary. Drivers usually won't cause problems if you download one you don't need, but a BIOS update could brick the computer if something goes wrong, such as a power glitch during the installation.

3 Posts

April 18th, 2015 12:00

Thanks for the reply KirkD. Your suggestions are noted and appreciated...

Merton82

1 Message

April 16th, 2015 19:00

Did you try to uninstall the program and reinstall it?

3 Posts

April 17th, 2015 15:00

Yes, I have done that and it does the same thing over again. I did notice that the Dell System Detect is listed under programs installed in the control panel under programs, as being installed. I do not see it under program files in Windows Explorer. Not sure what that means, if anything...The thing I don't understand is what does the error message Mean?:

"The BIOS version is the same or lower than current BIOS Version." The installation would not continue.

I don't understand the error statement, and assumed that I had updated the BIOS from A04 to A05..

I

No Events found!