Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 1st, 2016 21:00

Dell Time/Date changing in BIOS

Well this is a blast from the past.  I have a Dell Dimension 9150 circa 2006, with 3 gigs DDR2 Ram, an Pentium D Dual core CPU, a 1 TB Western Digital HD and the original AMD/ATI RV620 LE [Radeon HD 3450] video card.  It's still running fine, but last week I noticed the date & time was wrong.  I figured perhaps maybe it was time to change the CR-2032 battery.  I mean after 10 years, the thing might have gone bad. ;)

So I put a new one in & re-set up the BIOS settings, and here's the rub, the time will still sort of keep changing.  By that I mean the Minutes & Seconds will usually always be right, but the Hour will change & also it will change from AM to PM & Visa-Versa.  But no other BIOS settings are affected. 

This only happens when I'm in the BIOS.

I have Ubuntu-MATE 16.04 LTS on it, and the time/date are always correct, (I'm guessing because the clock is set to use an Internet Time server instead of the computers)

As this seems to be the only problem on a 10 year old Dell, is there anything to really worry about?  Everything else is working fine, just this one small thing in the BIOS that I hardly ever see anyway. ;)

One other thing, is there any Linux program I can download just in case a miracle happens & Dell releases a new chipset driver or BIOS update?  I did find this in the Ubuntu repository:

firmware-tools plugin to handle BIOS/Firmware for Dell systems: The firmware-addon-dell package provides plugins to firmware-tools which enable BIOS updates for Dell system, plus pulls in standard inventory modules applicable to most Dell systems.

Wasn't sure if this meant my MATE could scan for BIOS & Chip Set updates or not. :D

Thanks for reading. ;)

No Responses!
No Events found!