Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2013 22:00

Dell XPS 410 Blank Screen Issues

I am trying to resolve an issue with a Dell XPS 410. When I fire it up I get no graphics, it's a dark screen. I am assuming it is the video card can someone help? The only upgrade that was made was a memory upgrade to 4 Gigs. Here is the service manual, thanks in advance.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-410_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

18 Posts

February 27th, 2013 00:00

I will get back to you on the memory upgrade

18 Posts

I don't think this can be done with no display sir, i have no display, thanks so much for answering, any other suggestions?

2.2K Posts

Hi Micheal,

Welcome to the Community.

Let me know the specification of the memory used for upgrade.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to run diagnostics on the computer which will isolate the issue.

Unplug the power cable. Press and hold power button for 10 seconds. Plugin the power cable and turn on the system. Tap F12 key to access One Time Boot Menu. Highlight Boot to Utility Partition and hit Enter to start the diagnostics.

Please refer to the link mentioned below for error codes:

http://dell.to/12IFoz8

Also, look for any diagnostic indicators and refer to the table mentioned below:

LED pattern Code Translation
Image - Diagram illustrates no diag leds on. System POST complete – LED timeout has occurred.
Image - Diagram illustrates the #4 led on. BIOS checksum failure – Recovery mode.
Image - Diagram illustrates the #3 led on. CPU configuration activity or failure.
Image - Diagram illustrates the #3 and #4 leds on. Memory subsystem configuration activity or failure.
Image - Diagram illustrates the #2 led on. PCI device configuration or failure.
Image - Diagram illustrates the #2 and #4 leds on. Video subsystem configuration or failure.
Image - Diagram illustrates the #2 and #3 leds on. Storage device configuration or failure.
Image - Diagram illustrates the @2, #3, and #4 leds on. USB subsystem configuration activity or failure.
Image - Diagram illustrates the #1 led on. No memory detected.
Image - Diagram illustrates the #1 and #4 leds on. Fatal system board failure detected.
Image - Diagram illustrates the #1 and #3 leds on. Memory detected – Configuration or compatibility error.
Image - Diagram illustrates the #1, #3, and #4 leds on. System activity preceding video initialization.
Image - Diagram illustrates #1 and #2 leds on. System resource configuration.
Image - Diagram illustrates #1, #2, and #4 leds on. Reserved
Image - Diagram illustrates #1, #2, and #3 leds on. POST complete – Onscreen error message.
Image - Diagram illustrates #1, #2, #3, and #4 leds on. POST complete – OS hand-off complete.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

18 Posts

Indicator 3 & 4 are illuminated

2.2K Posts

Hi Micheal,

Thank you for the reply.

If there is no display after flee power (Unplug the power cable. Press and hold power button for 10 seconds. Plugin the power cable and turn on the system), let me know the status of the diagnostics indicator.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

2.2K Posts

Hi Micheal,

Thank you for the reply.

As mentioned in the table above, Image - Diagram illustrates the #3 and #4 leds on. indicate memory subsystem configuration activity or failure. I would suggest you to reseat the memory using the manual mentioned below:

http://bit.ly/XZRNHv

Also try with one memory stick at a time to check if it is an issue with the memory slot.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

18 Posts

February 27th, 2013 01:00

Manshu thank you so much I will perform this test tomorrow, as it is getting late and I have to work tomorrow as soon as I am off from work I will a perform the tests, as soon as I am done with work. Please look for my reply tomorrow thank you so very much Manshu!

18 Posts

March 4th, 2013 12:00

Manshu, sorry for the long delay i had to take the computer to a shop. i brought the machine to a shop and the guy in the shop said t he reseated the hardware dusted it out and the display came back on, for a whopping $85.00. He claims he tested the RAM and it was ok. This something i could of done myself i just didn't really have the time.

Also you have to hit the start button twice most times for the machine to fire up. The guy in the shop says it's a bad mother board, not sure how he came to that conclusion, but he also said that the motherboard on the Dell Dell XPS 410 cannot be replaced or upgraded because it's old and i will most likely have to get a new machine is this true? Why can't it be replaced or upgraded?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 4th, 2013 12:00

Also you have to hit the start button twice most times for the machine to fire up.

Somebody is just trying to sell you some new PC! :emotion-12:

You can buy the motherboard here for $32 and here for $79, probably on eBay, etc.   Always ask if new / used / refurbished, about warranty etc. :emotion-5:

Upgrades in Dell cases can be difficult because they typically use a custom cable connector between front panel and the motherboard

But from the symptoms, it sounds - to me - more like a power supply problem rather than a motherboard problem. 

18 Posts

March 4th, 2013 13:00

Power supply was tested, he says it's the mobo controller which is bad, it's not sending signal to the HDD, thanks so much for find that board for me Ron i appreciate it!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 4th, 2013 14:00

Power supply was tested, he says it's the mobo controller which is bad, it's not sending signal to the HDD, thanks so much for find that board for me Ron i appreciate it!

That doesn't sound right to me. If you press the power button once the PSU should kick in, and you should see the Dell Splash Screen as it does the POST. And if the HDD isn't starting or communicating, you should get "No boot device found" error.

If you press the power button once, and nothing happens, what color is the power button at that stage, steady or blinking? Do you see anything on monitor? And what color are the 4 diagnostic LEDs on the front of the tower?

The XPS 410 is old tech, so you do have to decide whether to put any $ into it or into some newer tech. On that point I would agree with the shop.

18 Posts

March 4th, 2013 16:00

If you press the power button once, and nothing happens, what color is the power button at that stage, steady or blinking? Do you see anything on monitor? And what color are the 4 diagnostic LEDs on the front of the tower?

As far as the above I cant answer that because I have not got the machine back yet. However if he says he did test the power supply I believe him. As far as your questions as soon I get the machine back which will be Wednesday night I will answer your questions.

No Events found!