Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2016 10:00

Dell XPS 700 chipset very hot to touch - is this normal?

Hello there,

I run an ancient DELL XPS 700 maxed out to QX6800 @ 3.48 GHz, 8GB RAM, SSD, and GTX 770 with Win 64. Got it for a bottle of bourbon and upgraded thanks to this forum.

It still runs OK, except it will crash occassionally for no apparent reason. I recently discovered that both chipset radiators on the mobo are very hot to touch, even in idle mode. Is that normal?

The CPu reaches 73 Celsius tops under load, I am not aware of any possibility to measure chipset temperature with any software. Any suggestions there?

I was thinking to clip some small fans on chipset radiators to bring the temperature down. Makes me wonder the mobo is still working given the heat. Should I then expect an improvement in stability?

Maciej

2.3K Posts

January 8th, 2016 15:00

Hello!  So i've never actually touched my chipsets when they are under load or idle, but some computers do have little fans on them.  I know some alienware computers have fans on some of the chipset heatsinks.  One thing that comes to mind is the PSU.  Is your PSU upgraded or is it factory?  If its factory it could be overloaded and over time would produce poor power to the computer thus causing BSOD issues.  Also 73C on your processor isn't bad and is more likely normal for that processor.  

7 Posts

January 9th, 2016 00:00

Hello, I have the stock PSU but it is 750w which should be plenty enough even between the power hungry CPU at 130 TDP plus overclock and the GTX 770. Also, I do not get BSODs, I get freezes where the screen and the sound freeze in game and I have to yank the power cord to restart the system (no reset switch). Maciej

2.3K Posts

January 9th, 2016 12:00

Ahh, I see.  If you are overclocking see if reducing the overclock helps.  If I were you I would reset the entire BIOS to default in that area or automatic and see if maybe the overclock is becoming unstable.  Have you tried re-seating the memory and GPU?  That is taking them out and putting them back in.  For some reason that sometimes helps.  

7 Posts

January 9th, 2016 13:00

Thanks for the hints. Thing is I need the overclock to have a substantially better single core performance in my favourite game. But I will reseat ram and CPU tomorrow and report back. I am also going to add a little extra fan over the chipset radiators. Just planned it today. It won't hurt anyway and it just might get me a little more time out of the mobo. With this machine, if mobo fails, you are done for.

2.3K Posts

:-( Sorry I couldn't be any more help.  If you 'underclock' it or 'normalize the clock' and it solves the problem, at least you know something is wearing out.  Hopefully the extra fan will work out!  I'm going to assum you have an aurora or the like.  I think you can replace the motherboard with a standard ATX if its a mobo problem.  That way you can save the CPU, GPU, and Memory at least.  

7 Posts

Unfortunately it is a btx motherboard. I have been planning for some time now to convert it to atx when it fails or becomes too obsolete for my favourite game. I really like the case that is why I want to do it. Once again, thx for your help.

2.3K Posts

January 9th, 2016 15:00

I see.  You can still buy BTX motherboards new.  I would try Newegg or Amazon and see what you can find.  Much cheaper then replacing the entire thing.  Good Luck!

7 Posts

January 27th, 2016 02:00

Hello again,

I am writing this to report back on the re-seating business.

It has not worked. The system still freezes up occassionally for no apparent reason. It normally happens relatively shorttly after I switch it on, often at idle. 

I also tried removing the overclock (back to 2.93 from 3.46). No difference. Go figure.

I am now turning towards the PSU as the culprit. When I turn my ear to it from the back of the case, I can hear not only conticous buzzing but also occassional bubbling, as of a boiling liquid or some other such intermittent sound. Anyway,as it is a non-standard PSU, I suppose I will have to live with it until my patience expires or until the system quits totally. For a 2007 flagship desktop, I probably should not complain, anyway.

Thanks to all those who replied,

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 27th, 2016 15:00

Have you run diagnostics on the RAM, fans, and hard drive from the F12 menu?

Is something running in the background that causes it to freeze? Does it freeze if you re-boot in Safe Mode?

Have you looked in the Windows Event Viewer around the time of a freeze to see if any events, such as "thermal event", have been logged?

If you reseated the CPU, did you clean both surfaces and apply fresh thermal paste before reinstalling the heat sink? And even if you didn't reseat the CPU, the old thermal paste may have dried out and might need to be cleaned off and replaced.

7 Posts

January 27th, 2016 16:00

Thanks for the reply.

No, the F12 menu is new to me, never owned a dell before. Just read up on it and will do it tomorrow.

Nothing runs in the background, I have checked for that, it will freeze at idle with with almost empty ram or under load.

Will check the event viewer and come back.

Have not tried safe mode, it is pretty much useless. I use the machine for fun, the freezes are occassional, but I can leave it to sit in safe mode and see.

I did reseat the cpu, all done properly, it is still running warmer than before (up to 80 C), as the new generic paste is curing. I have Arctic mx4 on the way, will clean again and redo it once more when it arrives. And MX4 needs no curing, they say.

Thanks for the hints! Will report back.

7 Posts

October 25th, 2016 10:00

Hello again,

Sorry for not coming back on this for such a long time.

Just to let you know that the overclock was the problem. I reduced it to 3.24ghz and it has been stable eversince. I also mickey-moused a little fan over the chipset radiators just for the *** of it.The radiators are not even lukewarm now.

No Events found!