Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 5th, 2011 13:00

Dell XPS 730 factory OC fail. BIOS settings?

I have been having memory problems with my 730 causing the bios to reset.

This knocked my factory OC out on the QX9650

I tried adjusting the multiplier (x11) to get the machine back up to 3.67ghz, but it bluescreens within either seconds to minutes of booting. Clearly I have a wrong setting in the BIOS.

Can anybody tell me what ALL of the BIOS OC settings should read to re-enable stable operation at the factory overclock speeds? At the moment I am very stable at multiplier (x10.5) but this does not give me the desired - and paid for 3.67!

Cheers

Rich

< ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy >

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 5th, 2011 14:00

Easiest way to reset BIOS to factory default settings is to pull the motherboard battery.

Power off and unplug

Press/hold power button for ~15 sec

Open the case and remove the motherboard battery

Press/hold power button again for ~30 sec

While you're in there, remove and reseat all RAM modules in their slots and used canned air to blow out any dust bunnies. That sometimes cures a RAM problem, assuming it's not an actual hardware failure.

Now reinstall the motherboad battery (right-side-up!) and you'll be back to factory default BIOS settings.

Note: BIOS may have a floppy driver controller setting. The typical factory default for the floppy controller is ON, even if you don't have an internal floppy drive. So if you get a Diskette (Floppy) drive seek error on first reboot after reinstalling the battery, run BIOS setup and turn the Diskette drive controller OFF.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 5th, 2011 14:00

One more thing... RAM issues typically don't cause BIOS to "reset", as you put it.

It seems more likely the motherboard battery is weak or dead. So you might as well install a new one if you follow the advice in my previous post.

It's a 3-volt CR2032 lithium ion battery, about $2-$3 at discount stores.

ROn

No Events found!