Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

March 8th, 2009 12:00

Dell XPS 730x & two (2) GTX 295's REBOOTING

Hello everyone. I recently upgraded my video cards on my Dell XPS 730x from GTX 280 to GTX 295(2). The GTX 295's cards use 285 watts each. The Dell XPS 730x PSU can not provide enough power to handle both cards. There is no known upgrade available for the Dell XPS 730x PSU, but if anyone comes up with an alternate, please post!

The cards are detected, drivers installed and it switches onto Quad-SLI without a problem, but if you run Furmark the system reboots without errors as soon as you hit start test.

Running the same test on our custom built Rampage Extreme II x58 with a 1600watt PSU is not a problem, it runs the test with extremely high scores.

Dell XPS 730x is NOT ready for GTX 295's if you wish to use the full potential of this cards. One card will do just fine.

1.4K Posts

March 9th, 2009 12:00

That's dissapointing. 

SLI 295 and an overclocked, watercooled Core I7 runs fine on an 850 watt psu.

System Configuration

Power Consumption

The roughly 600 watts on that chart is taken from the wall, once converted by the power supply  ( 87% efficiency ) it's only about a 520 watt DC load.

According to Xbitlabs the 295 use's up to  214 watts, link

All of the above is based on gaming and 3Dmark.

Running Furmark can cause the 295 to use up to 316.5 watts of power according to this set of tests

http://ht4u.net/reviews/2009/power_consumption_graphics/index17.php

Furmark puts a much higher and constant load on the graphics card than gaming and 3Dmark, but  even adding  200 watt's to the number from the Toms review, the 1000 watt psu should have had enough juice for your machine to make it thru the test.

16 Posts

March 21st, 2009 09:00

UPDATE:

When playing Crysis, there are scenes that have extreme high details, the system also reboots. If we lower the graphics settings, say to light med to high, it runs fine, no probs at all. Your analogy seem to be correct. Testing the amount of watts used by the GTX 295 while running Furmark did in fact revealed the card draws 308, 315, and up to 332 watts of power, both cards, that's 664 watts for the cards alone.

Our standard GTX 280's dont come near that much power, yet they do provide exellent performance.

Thanks for your info, it was in fact useful!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2009 11:00

All,

We are not even testing the 295s yet. We are testing the 285s. The supported PCs will be XPS 730x (single/dual at x16) and XPS 630 (single at x8).

16 Posts

April 26th, 2009 17:00

Hello, and thanks for your response. Any ETA on when you will be testing the GTX 295's on Dell XPS 730x? It's been a while now and I'm wondering if the issue is been looked at.

Thanks

16 Posts

May 8th, 2009 09:00

Has anyone come up with the solution for this? It's been quite a while now. If switching the power supply the answer? if so, will Dell have a replacement or upgrade?

Thanks

6 Posts

May 14th, 2009 23:00

I don't think Dell currently provides a power supply upgrade/replacement that has the necessary wattage to run your setup.

You could try a Corsair HX1000, or any reputable high efficiency (80+) power supply that is SLI approved. 1000W (800W at 80% efficiency) is probably overkill, but will definitely remain relevant as you continue to upgrade to newer and more power hungry video cards.

Last time I checked, the XPS 730 motherboards are fully ATX compliant so an aftermarket power supply should not be a problem.

Do note that some Dell power supplies are "taller" than standard ATX power supplies. The standard power supply will still fit, but not all of the screw holes will line up with the chasis and it will leave a small gap below. This is what I discovered when I purchased a Corsair HX520 to go with a Studio XPS 435 and single GTX295.

Hope this helps.

16 Posts

June 5th, 2009 11:00

Hum...that makes sense. I have a 1600W power supply, it is ATX, SLI. I have it installed on an Thermaltake Armor + LCS with a Rampage Extreme II mobo with i7965 3.2GHz, but not sure if I should even attempt to try that on the XPS 730x. What do you think?

Any input appreciated.

2.4K Posts

June 5th, 2009 19:00

You can not upgrade from the Dell PSU. here is what happened to me.

I have a XPS 730. I set it up for 3-way SLI running 3 GTX 280 cards. The 1000w Dell psu coulldnt handle it. I called Dell and was told it could be replaced with any ATX PSU. After talkign to Corsair I bought thier 1000w PSU thru Dell.

I get it and start to install it. Everything fits BUT!! the master control board connector. I call Dell. Now I asked them 5 or 6 times I bet if I could replace the PSU before I bought it. I was told over and over again that the XPS used standard connectors and I could replace it. So this time when I tell them I had no way to connect the MCB the guy puts me on hold. He comes back and confirms what I had to find out the hard way. I returned it to dell for a full refund.

Eveyone talks about how the XPS is fully upgradable unlike older Dell systems...BS! I ended up having to buy 2 FSP BoosterX5 PSU's they go in the drive bays instead of being able to use 1 quality PSU.

The Dell XPS 730 is not fully upgradable.

1 Message

June 19th, 2009 00:00

Hello Chris,

The XPS 730x h2c is now coming with sli dual GTX 295s. 

Will the PSU be able to support these cards in addition to the other parts in the computer? Or would it crash like the former posts?

1 Message

October 6th, 2009 11:00

Can I ask you if my XPS 730 with 1k PSU will support the GTX 285?

I have purchased this card from Dell and have had mixed results.  When I run the 3D Fumark 06 bench it will crash to desktop with an error "display driver stopped working and has recovered".  Same thing happens when playing games like Crysis and Bioshock.  Running WOW doesn't seem to bother it though.

I have ran PC Wizard 2009 to check voltage and got the following numbers:

+3.3V = 3.26

+5V = .058

+12V = 8.98

These numbers seem very off to me.  Could this be a PSU issue?

Thanks,

Funkdeath68

No Events found!