Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 26th, 2017 13:00

Dell XPS 8700 freezes

We bought this pc for our developers because of the power. I configured it and gave it to our developer and he gave it back saying it freezes. I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Win 7 pro. Everytime it boots up and gets to the desktop screen it freezes and stops. I have to power it down. That's as far as i get EVERYTIME I power it back on. I can't even get to dell support to download the bios. I went and bought a replacement Hard drive Same thing. I get booted up and tahhhhdahhhhh FREEZE! How in the world am I going to download the bios from another source say a jump drive if i can't get past the FREEZE screen?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 26th, 2017 17:00

Did you buy this PC new, from Dell or from a big box? If it's under warranty, contact Dell tech support ASAP.

What color is power button when it freezes and is it steady or blinking?

Are you using onboard video or an add-in video card?

Reboot and immediately press F12. Look for option to run the diagnostics and run all of them, including RAM and extended hard drive tests. Post error messages here, if any...

If no error messages, reboot and press F8. Look for option to boot in Safe Mode and see if it freezes or not...

Try resetting BIOS to the defaults. Power off, unplug. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open case and remove motherboard battery. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. While you're there, carefully reseat RAM modules, PCI cards and all cable connections. Then reinstall the battery and see if it boots/runs correctly now.

And I would NOT try to update BIOS if the system is freezing, even if you boot from a bootable USB stick. If it freezes during the update, the motherboard will likely be toast...

No Events found!