Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2008 02:00

Dell-false advertising

After a Dell customer for many years, bought over 7 systems from them, I tried to buy another from them. Found the one we wanted,  now can't buy it because it's a mistake in the ad. I emailed a person with Dell about the ad, but was told the ad had an error in it. It is still on the internet today, but I was told I cannot buy the system for this price because of the fine print at the bottom. It is OK with me because I can buy a HP with much more stuff on it. I don't want too because of the quality of the Dell's I had in the past. I was gonna buy two of them but Dell won't budge on it. You can take a look at the ad at the link below. You may have to click on best system to see it, but they tell me the blue-ray DVD is not included with it.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/odg/odg_special48?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Message Edited by speedbugy on 07-29-2008 10:02 PM

2.3K Posts

July 30th, 2008 02:00

speedbugy; Welcome to DCF

I am sure if you have patience that by tomorrow one of the mods will assist you.

I am going to post this for them and see if I could grab their attention to help with your dilemma.

Peace

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 30th, 2008 12:00

speedbugy,

What specific PC model and mistake?

6 Posts

July 30th, 2008 12:00

the link is listed above,,,just click on it

44 Posts

July 30th, 2008 13:00

He says - click the 'BEST' button in the image - which brings up an offer for an XPS420 at $1099

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 30th, 2008 13:00

speedbugy,

I did that. Do you mean the Inspiron 530S?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

July 30th, 2008 14:00

I don't see what the problem is. I clicked on Best which brings up the XPS 420 with the Blu-ray Disc Combo. I then clicked Choose. The Configurator for Optical Drive shows Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD) [Included in Price] for a total of $1099. Click Buy Now.

6 Posts

July 30th, 2008 15:00

ey wont sell me that system for that price,,,,,,says an error in ad,,,,,blue-ray not included,,,only for 200.00 extra,,,,spoke to 2 reps,,,and chat with them says to call 800 number, did and same response. I got the email saved that says,,,,no way, it was a mistake,,,,read the disclaimer at the bottom of ad,,,and, he is right. says not responsible for mistakes in ads,,,,thought Dell was more reputable.

6 Posts

July 30th, 2008 15:00

anyway,,,my wife a puter geek,,and all her company buys are Dell says one she wanted. Would not make big deal about otherwise.

31 Posts

July 30th, 2008 23:00

I went to the link and I see what he is talking about.  The "Best" button on that page does show an XPS420 with bluray included for just $1099.  It can't be a simple advertising mistake because:  I can click through and get it all the way into my cart with Bluray for $1099.  Save the system to your wish list and see what a higher level customer support person can do for this.  It is very simple, it is not a matter of a false advertisement any more, no no no, its even worse.  They are trying to deny the deal after it is in the cart for the agreed and advertised price. 

Its really simple, they have to honor that price.  Whoops its a typo doesn't work when the configurator has it the same way and lets you put it in the cart.  Now, if you customize it, I don't know if it ruins the deal or not.

BTW, off topic, but does anyone know why the Bluray drives are holding up XPS730 shipping?

6 Posts

July 31st, 2008 00:00

Thanks for answers, but it's just not worth arguing on the phone no more. I am getting too old for that and not worth the time. I waited a few more days before buying another brand to see if maybe one of the Dell folks like Chris could get this handled but apparently it's not going to happen. It happens the same way BIO says, it's not there at checkout. It was good to be a Dell customer while it lasted, but I guess as of the weekend now I will try something else. In any case the Dell's I have owned have been fine machines. If a power surge from a storm hadn't damaged my wife's last one it would still be ok.

6 Posts

August 2nd, 2008 17:00

Hey Dello folks, I know none of you are going to agree, but I waited and checked email this am 8/2/08. Still nothing back from Dell or here on the forum. I ordered my HP IQ506 from OfficeMax that should be here next week. Also while I was there they had what seemed like a heck on a deal on a HP laptop with a printer so I got it too since my old Dell lappy was gettin a bit old too. Promise not to bother you folks anymore. Maybe at least this will help the next person who trys to by from a Dell ad and Dell denies the ad. I am sure my purchase cost Dell more than the $ 200.00 mistake they made in the ad. They finally changed the ad now, but at least a few of you folks seen it along with some folks on a few other forums.

Thanks !

Steve

Message Edited by speedbugy on 08-02-2008 01:02 PM
No Events found!