Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2008 10:00

Dell geforce 8600 256mb gt ddr3 not a normal 8600?

Well I had vista and it said that my ram was running at 600 something mhz when infact I had the 800mhz ram.  Dell support finally figured out that vista takes the lowest mhz it can find in your system and thats what it goes by.  They said that my graphics card ram was 600 something ( i cant remember the exact number) and thats what was causing the low reading.  I thought to myself thats funny because it's supposed to run at around 1500mhz!!!  I don't know what brand dell uses, or if they make there own cards but this card is defiantly not the normal 8600 gt you would buy from newegg.com for example.  I searched the reviews sometime ago, and ofcourse I can not find it now, but another person other then me had experienced the same problem and dell told them the same thing that the card memory was only 600 something mhz.  NO WONDER IT WAS SO CHEAP.... i dont know, maybe there was something wrong with our cards....vista always bugged with that card installed I actually had to put xp on to get rid of the driver error i was getting with vista.  I would recommend at 9000 series card for vista.

3.7K Posts

December 26th, 2008 10:00

Hi semperaye, Dell cards are OEM, your better off with an retail card.

14.4K Posts

December 26th, 2008 18:00

What system do you own? Can you provide your system specs,  Vista does not control the speed of your ram it is controlled by the bios. If in fact you have 800 and it is not running at 800 it is because something is amiss with the ram.

Now are you refering to the system ram or the video card ram? Dell cards while OEM generally will conform to full retail specs.

Here's what you need to do pick up a copy of CPU-z  run it and look at the memory tab it will tell you what your memory is running at

Pick up a copy of GPU-z as this will give you info on your video card

Here are the Nvidia specs for you video card.

No Events found!