Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2009 10:00

Dell studio xps 435mt freezes on bootup

Ever since I bought my dell studio xps (almost a week ago, ordered online), it's had a problem starting up. During start up, on the first screen with the Dell logo (with the F2 and F12 options), before the Vista loading screen, the loading bar will get stuck at either just under half way, or 9/10th of the way, but usually 9/10th. It just stays there, frozen. I have to force the comptuer to shut by holding the power button, then I try to boot it again, and it always works flawlessly on the 2nd try. My specs are:

Core i7 920 @ 2.67 ghz

6gb of RAM

ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb

Vista Home Premium

I've just been dealing with the problem so far but I'd really like to fix it.

Thank you in advance.

2 Posts

I plan to, soon. I just want to see if anyone has had this problem and fixed it yet. If I can't find answers, then I'll call.

PS: I wanted to try the online chat, but it said it wasn't available, or I didn't get it with my warranty. Ideally, I'd want to contact Dell through the chat.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

brian1037

As this is a new PC, you should contact Dell ASAP about this.

Bev.

155 Posts

July 31st, 2009 11:00

I agree that you should contact Dell, preferably by phone, for resolution of the problem, but in the meantime, try repeatedly pressing F8 during startup and then choose Repair Your Computer and see if that helps.

Bob N.

1 Message

September 21st, 2009 09:00

Hello Brian1037,

I am not sure if you solved this problem or not.  I bought this same Studio XPS 435MT around 15 days ago and I had the same problem you mentioned above.  I Immediately opened a service ticket with Dell Tech Support.  Once they were not able solve my problem, I initiated a return authorization within the initial 21 day period. 

I hope you did the same.  These new systems are just like new cars they should not cause you any hassle and they should be smooth sailing during the warranty period at least.  If the system causes you problems in the first few days after you buy it, it will keep causing problems on the long run.

Now I am going to be returning this system and I will be replacing it with the newer Studio XPS 9000 with the same configuration and for the same price.  Hopefully, when I receive the new Desktop I will not have the same problem.  At any rate I will let you know.

Best Regards,

SamDeHam.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2010 14:00

I don't know if you've resolved the freeze on bootup issue, but I'm posting this in case anyone else has this problem. I was experiencing the same issue -- the Dell logo screen would freeze. I had to turn my machine off and restart it, which usually got me into Windows 7. This was happening for a day or so. Then I noticed that my Epson scanner was turned on. The scanner is new and I couldn't remember having the issue before installing it and its software. I assumed that the scanner being on was confusing the BIOS someway. I was right. After I turned the scanner off, my machine booted up normally. If anyone else is experiencing a freeze on bootup, you may want to see if there's anything attached to your system that may be causing a conflict on bootup. Hope this helps.

No Events found!