Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2013 05:00

Desktop screen boundary reduced after Windows Update!

Hello,

I ran windows update on my Inspiron ONE, and during the applying phase, the desktop screen 'area' reduced  by 2cm on the sides & 1cm on the top & bottom.

So, its like a black boundary around the desktop screen.

There is no hardware buttons for changing the desktop screen area.(there are hardware buttons only for brightness +/- & video input switcher)

How to increase the desktop screen area to fit the monitor screen area?

3.3K Posts

August 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi OnjeD,

You may need to change the settings in AMD control centre:

http://dell.to/13ke2Bt

Change the scaling so that the display fits the panel.

Let em know how it goes.

4 Posts

August 15th, 2013 01:00

Thanks a lot, DELL-RAJESH R!! Problem is solved! :emotion-2:

Although the link you gave was for AMD Catalyst Control center, but it lead me to search for ATI catalyst control center for GPU scaling problem and quickly lots of results were returned by Startpage.com. I followed steps given at http://www.hack7mc.com/2010/05/ati-gpu-scaling-removing-the-black-bars.html

I guess, if i had known the correct keywords to search for, problem would have resolved lot time back.

Thank-you for identifying the issue & guiding me to solve it,

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 13th, 2013 07:00

Change The Screen Resolution back to 16:9 ratio like 1366 x 768 or whatever its supposed to be.  If it wont the video driver is broken.

3.3K Posts

August 13th, 2013 07:00

Hi OnjeD,

You may try to change the Display Settings.

To change the Display Settings, follow the steps as below:

• Right in the blank space on the Desktop and then select Properties.
  • Click the Settings tab.
  • Click on Advanced.
  • Click the graphics card tab that is installed on your computer.
  • You will have to make changes in the Advanced Settings under Display Settings.

You may also want to perform a System Restore to a date when the display settings were normal.

To restore the operating system to an earlier point in time, follow these steps:

• Click Start, type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs list.  
  • If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
  • In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next.
  • In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you began to experience the issue, and then click Next.
  • Click Finish.

Let me know the status.

4 Posts

August 14th, 2013 04:00

Also, System restore was disabled so cannot restore to restore point before Windows Updating.

4 Posts

August 14th, 2013 04:00

Thanks for responding, Dell-Rajesh R & SpeedStep.
The resolution is the same 1920x1080. The actual desktop display area is reduced.

In effect, Its similar to if the monitor hardware screen was sliced off by 2cm on sides & 1cm on top & bottom.

For testing purpose, i did change resolution from the usual windows utility and also from ATI Catalyst Control Center.
Resolution changes successfully; But the actual desktop display area doesnt expand to the complete area of the monitor.

Then, i uninstalled Monitor & Display Adapter - ATI Mobility Radeon HD5000 series drivers from Device manager. The actual desktop area 'correctly expanded' to the complete area of the monitor screen. However, the quality of display was bad. After restart, the drivers got automatically installed, and the actual desktop display area again reduced. :emotion-9:

No Events found!