Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2003 16:00

Dimension 2300 Motherboard Manufacturer

Who manufactured the motherboard in the Dell Dimension 2300 (Intel Celeron 1.7) and what is the model number? I can't seem to see any label or markings on the motherboard identifying the manufacturer, and I have sent two emails to technical support asking the same question - one went with no reply, and the other with no relevant information as if the question was being avoided. Belarc Advisor states:

Board: MiTAC International Corp. Dimension 2300
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Mitac Corp A02 08/26/2002

Does this mean that Mitac is the motherboard manufacturer? But I've been looking at a few of the other questions posted on the same issue, and Dell staff have replied that Intel make all Dell motherboards. Also does the fact that it has an Intel 845GL Chipset give any clue as to the motherboard manufacturer?

Any replies most appreciated.

Many thanks.

2.5K Posts

April 23rd, 2003 17:00

Niraj,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.
There is no exact model number.
Dell motherboard are manufactured for Dell by Intel.
They are proprietary motherboards that do not have corresponding model number.
The motherboard uses the Intel 845GL chipset, so you may be able to find a *like*
retail motherboard from Intel, but it will not be exact.

23 Posts

April 23rd, 2003 21:00

niraj.patel,

Visit this Dell website to know exactly the technical specifications of your motherboard.

35 Posts

April 23rd, 2003 21:00

Thanks for the reply DELL_K. However, if customers are not told of the motherboard model number, then how are they supposed to know what components to buy for upgrade? For example, I do not wish to change my motherboard, but wish to upgrade the processor, possibly to P4 instead of Celeron. How can I know whether a P4 would work or to what speed without knowing the exact specifications and capabilities of the motherboard? Knowing the model number would enable someone to get information about their motherboard from the manufacturers website, assuming that they were not already provided with a manual for the motherboard.

As I'm sure you're aware, Intel manufacture numerous boards, it would be some task indentifying one that was similar (and there could be many similar). Nevertheless, even if a similar one was found, I could never know whether it's specifications and capabilities matched the motherboard in my machine.

How does Dell usually offer its customers upgrade advice over the phone, for a question such as upgrading the processor? I assume that Dell has a full list of specifications and capabilities of my motherboard. Is there a page on the Dell website that displays that information? If not, could you guide me to an Intel board that in your opinion is similar as possible to those found in the Dimension 2300?

Many thanks.

2.5K Posts

April 24th, 2003 13:00

Niraj,

PCbee is correct, simply take a look at the Dell system specs.
Dell has specs for all the systems, newer systems have more detailed specs.

61 Posts

April 24th, 2003 15:00

These specs may not REALLY reflect the fastest processor you can use. For example, Dell claims, by it's specs, that my system can support up to a 1.9 ghz. processor, but I'm currently running a 2.2 in my 4300S. They also claim a max. RAM capacity of 512 megs, but I recently found out it will in fact handle up to 1 gb.

I do wish Dell were a bit more carefull in their specs, because this carelessness cost me performance when I bought more RAM for my 4300S.   I would have bought a 512 meg stick instead of the additional 256 I bought........ Lesson learned: I will check this forum first before making any assumptiont that the "specs" are correct.

35 Posts

April 24th, 2003 16:00

The specification link that someone kindly posted states that the max is P4 1.8, but if what you say is true, then how will I ever know how far I can exceed 1.8 other than by (expensive) trial and error. And if 1.8 is the max, then I don't think it's worth my while upgrading as I already have a Celeron 1.7. It would be interesting if people posted what they're running on their Dimension 2300 exceeding P4 1.8!

Thanks again for all the replies.

27 Posts

July 15th, 2005 21:00

Dell Dimension 2300 Motherboard help....please?

My 2300 was bought in year 2002.

My 2300 CPU is Celeron 1.8 Ghz.

My 2300 memory is SDRAM PC-100

I am wanting Dell Dimension 2300 motherboard MODEL number please?

Id like Model number or Dell Part number please?

What is the motherboard CPU socket number or info?

What is the most fastest CPU will this 2300 motherboard take?

=== SOME INFO. I DO HAVE BELOW =====================
Deminsion motherboard manufacturer MiTAC International Corp.
Chipset Intel i845G Rev. A-1
Southbridge Intel 82801DB (ICH4)
BIOS
Brand Mitac Corp
Version A01
Display Adapter
Manufacturer Intel
Model 82845G/GL Graphics Controller Rev. 1
On the Dell Dimesion 2300 original motherboard is this below:
WHITE STICKER WITH:
CN: 03T237- 70821- 27L- I12R  REV. A00
Easy viewable chip on motherboard (Not the CPU chip) but its got:
Intel
FW82801DB
L2230243
SL66K
========== END OF WHAT I KNOW =======================

Hope you all can help me with above questions please?

ANYONE CAN PM ME.... if ya want to :-)

Thank you so much.

D911

181 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 13:00

My wife's 2300, bought from Dell Outlet many yeras ago, came with a 2.5Ghz P4.

I can find out the model spec if wanted.

Shaun

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 2nd, 2010 19:00

Never mind...this thread is 7 years old... :emotion-12:

Ron

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 2nd, 2010 20:00

Never mind...this thread is 7 years old... :emotion-12:

Ron

If I were upgrading a 2300, I'd put in a newer mainboard.

181 Posts

November 3rd, 2010 04:00

>..If I were upgrading a 2300, I'd put in a newer mainboard..<

Any suggestions? Bearing in mind the 200w power supply

Shaun

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 3rd, 2010 10:00

Shaun,

This thread is 7 years old. Are you now (in 2010) looking to update a 2300??

Dell uses proprietary connectors between the motherboard and front panel. The wiring for those connectors isn't generally available. So you can't easily replace the motherboard with a different one, unless you're able to trace the wiring and willing to do some modifications.

The 2300 is so old that it's probably better to consider replacing the entire system with something brand new. Ron

Ron

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 3rd, 2010 23:00

>..If I were upgrading a 2300, I'd put in a newer mainboard..<

Any suggestions? Bearing in mind the 200w power supply

Shaun

65-watt mATX, like the Gigabyte 785G special recently offered on Newegg. And that model, unlike many of the budget Intel boards, has usable IGP.

Regarding the the proprietary wiring, I've figured it out and will be posting the pinouts online. I successfully converted my 3000's Soundblaster-type front audio plug to standard Intel Azalea last weekend; I sourced the 2X5 header and Molex pins from FrontX for about $4 and crimped them on using special pliars from Digi-key. If you wish, send the 2300 parts with the conversion stuff out my way with return shipping and I'll do them. The new pins can also be attached with solder using a fine-tip iron.

2 Posts

June 28th, 2013 04:00

otherwise complete

2 Posts

June 28th, 2013 04:00

So what if the thread is 7 years old, it's 10 years old for me.  I found a Dimension 2300 sittin' by the dumpster. Was minus the hard drive and the cage, and only had a paltry single 128mb stick of ram.  Far as i can tell, I still don't know the mainboard model #.  Anywhere to download the mainboard user manual?

No Events found!